Help

The VENT

Can't believe I had to do this today

>

spedder1

Can't believe I had to do this today
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did paraprofessional training sessions today. The one this morning went well. It was a very small group and we were busy the entire time. Everything went right. This afternoon I had to stop my presentation and wait for people, grown men and women, to stop talking over me. I finally said, "I can wait!" to the group. It finally got quiet and I was able to start up again. The video links didn't work. Paras were upset because we got done an hour early. I stretched as much as I could, but people had their heads down. Some were wandering to the bathroom and water fountain repeatedly. It was time to call it a day. The head of the para union happened to be there. She was able to clarify that they could stay until the ending time so they could get their full pay. I told her that the videos would have filled up the time, which she understood. It was so frustrating. The last time I did both a morning and afternoon session, the afternoon session was disengaged, but not as much as this one. Oh well. There's not another training for awhile. I am doing a long term sub starting on Wednesday, so don't know if I'd do another training, though they pay really, really well.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

case studies
Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Awww, you could've had them re-enact what might've been in the video you wanted to show! Have groups of people re-enact their best-case scenario and worst-case scenarios and then have each group comment on how they might handle a situation. I wonder if that would've been useful and it would have given you an opportunity to assess their training.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

The were checked out before the session began
Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We did a few activities. They did not respond. Honestly, they just sat there. The wrote on their sheets, but refused to share. At the end of the session they asked what they should do with what they wrote. I told them to take the information with and try it. Most were there for the money. Para training is optional, so some are there just for the paycheck. At least I had the morning session to cling to. It was wonderful.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestion

Suggestion

Live and Learn
Old 10-02-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As with most bloopers in life, just chalk it up as a learning experience. Technology often fails at the worst time. I once offered to give a free PD presentation to which only one principal in the district responded. On the day of the presentation, the district superintendent was there along with the entire school staff. I was devastated when my multimedia presentation failed to be projected onto the screen. From that, I learned that if there is ever a "next time", I plan to visit the venue days in advance to make sure that there are no glitches with the hardware.

As far as adult behavior in schools is concerned, every speaker at any gathering of educators that I've attended had difficulty getting and keeping their attention. I was once in a gymnasium filled with about 200 teachers seated at tables for a 3-hour introduction to Common Core. No matter how much the speaker rang her little bell, clapped her hands, offered incentives (like an early dismissal), or scolded everyone, the assembly remained noisy and disinterested. I almost felt sorry for her! This was a reminder that whenever possible, one should get input from the participants regarding what they would be interested in learning. Even mandatory training sessions can be made more palatable by personalizing them to meet the needs of those in the audience. Top-down planning rarely ends well.

Daydreamr

Sorry
Old 10-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

your afternoon was so rough. I've done lots of trainings, too, and you've got my sympathy. It's definitely not as easy as it looks! There's a lot of preparation, and things like technology trouble and people who talk during your presentation can make it quite a challenge. At least they paid you well!

Daydreamr is offline   Reply With Quote