Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

I am so numb

>

March Baby

I am so numb
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and I just don't know what to do anymore. I know that I am depressed but I honestly don't know what to do about it anymore. I tried weekly meetings with a therapist for a few months and it just wasn't a good fit. My doctor will not prescribe anything for me. I just had another close family member die from cancer---I jump and my heart races every time my phone rings. I went on another interview and did not get the job. I just can't climb out of this. I know that it is said that God doesn't give us more than we can handle but I have seriously reached my limit. Thanks for letting me get this out.

teachnkids

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so sorry you are feeling so low. I would find a new therapist and a dr. who wants to help you!

(((HUGS)))

brooks56

sad
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am very sorry you have so much pain in your life right now. I am an older teacher and have been through many obstacles in life. I know what you mean about reaching your limit. One of my favorite sayings my dad taught me was : "It is always darkest before dawn." Take it a day at a time and remember things can only get better!

Clarity

Talk therapy won't help if you have a
Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

hormonal or biochemical imbalance. Have you tried exercising. Sounds simple, but it can help your brain, something like swimming especially, where your body gets into different positions. A long time ago, I was rolfed (a form of deep tissue massage) and that did me a lot of good during a time of incredible stress. Is it possible to join a group therapy situation? Sometimes it helps to get into communication with others who are struggling. Sorry for all your multiple losses. I went through a couple of years one time where it just seemed like all of my bad karma from the past 20 lifetimes was catching up to me. It does end eventually, but it takes a long time to recover.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know you are depressed and discouraged! Find a different therapist (we didn't find a good fit for DD until the 3rd one) and go see another doctor. It sounds like you really need to be on medication as well! (((HUGS))) and continued prayers!

Nancy

Hideeho

Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second the idea of exercising even if it's just a walk around the block.

It sounds as if you gave your therapist a good try, but don't be afraid to try that again with someone else.

Does your doctor have any suggestions since he/she won't prescribe anything? Maybe it's time to try another doctor.

(((((March Baby)))))

twin2

Been there
Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Depression is real but through Christ you can get through it. If you followed my posts, my various trials seem to run together. Not trying to give a witness for the devil, but you know before you can have a testimony, there has to be a trial. My mother in-law had a heart attack in November, and was not expected to make it. She turned down open heart surgery due to kidney issues. In January my husband lost his job due to an acquisition. He took several different jobs before getting one that seemed to pay as well. Our son had a major stroke in February at the age of 15, and in church yet. Then in April, I began having seizures out of nowhere. At first I was diagnosed as having mini strokes, but they kept happening so finally a nurse suggested I might be having seizures. Changed neurologists and that is my current diagnosis. I have been through numerous medicine adjustments, and recently a new medicine was added. Finally my seizures seem to be under control, but now the fluttering in my head is back and I think I am having very short less intense seizures, not sure, might just be aura. I felt like a hypocrite - I'd get prayer and then I'd go take my medicine. Even Charles Spurgeon wrote to do everything by prayer. He said if you feel you must take the medicine, pray first, and then take it. I've prayed, and I'm taking my medicine. I'm holding on. One way or another I'll be healed, even if I have to wait till eternity. Its been one thing after another, each one a blow out of nowhere. Now there's testimony in there too. My husband has a job that seems to be just wonderful now. My son has had a full recovery, much of it occurring within days of the stroke. My episodes were not mini strokes but seizures. The doctor does seem to be onto controlling my seizures, we just need to work at it some more. Through all of this, I have suffered depression as well, some from the stress, but mostly from the medicine. When one of the medicines was increased it was so bad that it was like there was a death and my heart hurt so bad (emotionally and physically). All I could do was cry and cry. I didnt worry before about depression because as a Christian, I thought I could handle it, I wasn't even worried about suicide because it is not an option for me. What I found was I hurt so bad, I just wanted it to end. I wanted out. I thank God suicide was not an option, or I'd not be here today. Again, another testimony. God has not left me. He has not walked away. He has been with me through it all.

There are many reasons for trials. Isiah 51:10 tells us that even those who serve God can find themselves in a trial. Other scripture tells us it rains on the just and the unjust. We also read where trials are for testing of our faith, or simply consequences of our own choices. I cling to Romans 8:28, that as a believer I know that God will work everything to my good. I may have to go through some things, but I trust God knows what he is doing and one way or another, no matter what happens, it will be for my best. God's goal is to get us through this world and help us to hold on to Christ. There was a song based on scripture that said "fruit grows in the valley". Well it does. The trials are a time of learning too. My advice to you is to continue to praise God through the trials, read the Bible and pray. You'll find your way, regardless of the pain you must endure. God is faithful.

tammynj

Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am sorry that things are still going so badly for you; it's hard to feel like the bad stuff will end when it's been coming for a while. I agree with those who say perhaps find a new therapist.

Quote:
I second the idea of exercising even if it's just a walk around the block
I agree. I always feel better after a little exercise, even just a walk. (This is esp. true in nice weather. If it's too hot during the day, go early in the AM; if it's too cool at night, go midday) It's good for your body but also for your mind. It can't hurt to try it.

I would also try to find a new doctor who would look at prescribing an anti-depressant for you.

I hope you find some peace soon, someone who can help you.

binkbonk

Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Go to a different doctor or better yet a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist can prescribe. You shouldn't have to feel this way.

javamomma

((hugs))
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree, find a new dr (therapy).

((((((hugs)))))))

IA11

Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What everyone else said (so much better than I could have!)

Lean on God -- and others -- let others lend a hand or a shoulder!

<<<<<<<<<<hugs!>>>>>>>>>>>

Teach 5

Dr.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Find a new doctor. Exercise is great but I needed some meds before I could even get enough energy to exercise. Seriously, find yourself a new family doctor. It made a world of difference for me. I also saw a therapist and she was a great fit but I needed the meds to pull me out of it. It was just a low dose antidepressant but it really helped. Good luck!

Tulips

((((March Baby))))
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm sorry you are still struggling.

I second the advice. Try a new doctor and get some exercise, no matter how little. The endorphines from the exercise will give you a little pick me up.

You're in my prayers,
Dee