Help

Substitute Teachers

Check-in procedures

>

Mariposa2010

Check-in procedures
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sub for two (large) districts. In one of them the check-in procedure for substitutes is to go to the office, tell them who you're subbing for, give them your timesheet, they give you keys and an attendance sheet and you're good to go. In the other district, pretty much the same thing ~ I tell them who I'm subbing for, I fill out a timesheet (have to complete a different timesheet for each school), then they give me keys and an attendance sheet. In NEITHER district do they ever ask for my ID. They just assume I am who I say I am.
I once told this to a friend who's kids attend one of my districts and quite frankly she was shocked. Shouldn't schools identify subs who go to their schools to teach? With the procedure at my districts, anybody could go in and say they are me and they'd believe them. I have never had a badge. With the incident that occurred yesterday in Connecticut I'm just hoping schools turn their security measures up a notch.

Mariposa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

babush

Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most schools have photo IDs that subs wear. Volunteer parents wear ID "Visitor" badge or sticker with name on it from office.

This way everyone in the halls has some type of badge, parent visitors get a sticker or pin saying visitor on it. Any other adult wondering halls is directed to the main office.

Sometimes they get to know you and let you get by without a badge.
babush is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Check-In
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The school I sub at is a 1 building campus. All of our exterior doors are locked at all times. Tachers have a key to the exterior door to their classroom. Admin, custodians and the PE coaches have keys to the exterior hall doors--and only the admin, custodians and PE coaches are allowed to have them.

The main entrance to the school is unlocked to enter the school. However, you enter into a lobby. There is a door to enter the office and double doors to enter the hallway. In the morning, the double doors through the lobby are open for students to enter but a duty personnel redirects parents/adults to the office. When the tardy bell sounds, the secretary closes off the lobby/hallway doors and the only way into the school from this point would be through the main office. And, no one gets past the main office without the office giving clearance.

All staff members (including subs) check into a computer. If a sub's name is not in the computer, the secretary gets his/her name, the teacher they are subbing for, and goes to check the sub system for verification. All subs receive a tag identifying them as a sub. Some of us have school-issued picture tags. Mine was issued to me as a school board tag.

Parents check in through the computer system and receive a visitor tag. The secretary checks their ID and compares it to our custody list (unless she knows the parent well enough). They cannot go past the office if there is a custody issue or just a ban on the parent from going further (some are banned from going past the office because of the way some treat teachers). School board maintenance, computer technicians and special services personnel have to have the school board issued tag. All other visitors must have proof as to why they have to be at school (i.e., when they were working on the fire alarm several weeks back, the technician had to have the work order with him and the company's id tag when he checked in).

Sorry this is so long, but this is the check in procedure. I wanted to point out that for an older school, we try to be very prepared and safe.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

You're probably not a psycho
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"...who you're subbing for, give them your timesheet"

If they know the teacher is out, you state his/her name, and you have the subbing time sheet
You're probably not the psycho they are worried about.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

Scary sign-in procedure
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is an upper elementary building in my district where the staff doesn't even speak to the subs who are coming in. The Aesop-generated sign-in sheet is sitting on a desk, with the sub folders, and a box of keys! The sub is expected to sign in, find the teacher's room number on the school map, find the correct key number from the box of keys, and head off to meet the students. All of this without speaking to anyone. Scary? You bet! But the secretaries don't have to leave their personal conversations to check in the subs.

We work for a third-party enterprise that doesn't see the need for personal ID tags. It doesn't seem to bother the schools either, because they save money by hiring us through the legal fiction of the outside company.

Anyone, literally anyone, who knows the procedure can come in and sign on any blank line, grab a key (or several) and have access to the building. The district uses Aesop, so there are no time sheets to be provided.

Other buildings in the district at least have a secretary to personally check in the subs. After a while they get to know most of us. But on any given day an unfamiliar person can show up, claim to be from the sub agency, and be given access to the building without ever having to identify themselves.

Oh well ... as long as the district saves money by using bodies from an agency rather than actual district employees.

I have brought this to the attention of the district's administrators, but absolutely nothing has changed.

2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry for the double post.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Reading these posts, I'm shocked at how lax the procedures are. In my district, the exterior doors are always locked, and you either have to swipe your badge or get buzzed in. Subs have a distinctive bright yellow badge. We have to sign in with our name, our ID number, the name of the teacher we're subbing for, and the job number. We are never given keys. Big Brother cameras are everywhere.

Of course, nothing is foolproof.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercury

My District
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Offers badges but they are not mandatory. You have to go to the district admin. building and most subs don't bother to get it. I got one because it helps at some schools to get past security without a hassle (they just wave you through when they see it).
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Dakotabooks

I've never had to show proof
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In the districts I sub in I just come in and say I'm here to sub for whoever. It's one of if not the biggest district in the state. I've often thought about how there's not much security because there's always the main doors of the school open, but if someone really wants to get in they will. Locks don't stop psychos.
Dakotabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

None of the districts that I sub for bother to check IDs. In the morning most doors are wide open and I just walk in. PM assignments are a different story with the school doors locked I need to be "buzzed in."