Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

soccer wasn't so swell today, but it had its moments

>

MrDes

soccer wasn't so swell today, but it had its moments
Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 AM

This is my next installment of my soccer adventure, part four.

I don't know what happened to my soccer babies today, but they were not themselves. They were just so...four years old today! ( Thats because they are, btw.)

Two had breakdowns on the field. One who is my dinosaur loving guy, refused to come back. He was doing awesome but some little alarm went off in his head and told him he was done. He cried the rest of the game. The only way he would come back out and play is if I let him blow up the balls with the air pump later. He stood there for me. That was about it. And he HAS to play. Each kid must play 50% of the game. I would get in trouble not playing him.

My future world cup contender's mom yelled at him when he missed the goal and he cried and hugged her leg for a quarter. Thanks, mom.

My two fastest little buddies decided they wanted to play Spider-Man in the netting of the goal. OUR goal. They actually blocked a few balls from the other kid on our team still playing. I never played those two together before, and I think that was a good thing. They both serve similar functions but with the breakdowns I put an extra speedy in. That let me with zero speed but twice the Spider-Man. I think the two spider-men are playing separate quarters from now on.

It's 3v3 with 6 total on the team, so I had one kid playing per quarter. Amazingly enough, they were the two kids who try but usually get bored, but they both had their shining moments, which was really cool. One kid I'll call Giggles, who usually jumps around and giggles and runs around and gives high fives for goals, just wasn't happy with our performance today. He just stood on the midline and didn't run or jump, but miraculously his serious mood motivated him to get the ball back from the other team when they got there and he dribbled it back into the right goal. He didn't act happy about it, but he did it without fail. I think he was actually mad that the other two kids weren't playing as usual and he picked up the slack. He was happy after the game when his parents were gushing. I don't think he realized how good he was today. I'd never seen him so determined .

A kid I call Pikachu Nose Picker (in my mind, not out loud)for his constantly yelling "Pikachuuuu! " and picking his nose every time I look at him, made three
goals today. He's the kind of kid who is always running the wrong way on accident and is too shy to steal the ball. It was awesome and I think his mom cried a little.

It didn't help that the game was at 8 on a Saturday.

We have another game at 1. Mental breakdown day would be double game day. I bought some dinosaur and super hero puffy stickers to give out to the players who actually play this game. I hope it helps. I know it's not fireproof, but gotta try something.

One advantage is that the score was pretty even on both sides this game.

This is our sixth game and they have never behaved so badly. Baby soccer is just a mixed bag, I guess. But I am very proud of PNP and Giggles.

MrDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Yeah I wouldn't sign up for that gig. My ds started at 4 and dd started at 2. My ds was the "wambulance" as I called him. He stopped to help every single person up that fell down and checked to see if they were okay. My dd just ran on the perimeter of the field and wouldn't get in the action.

Now he is a sophomore and was the top JV GK in our division. He only allowed 2 goals all season. She is 11 and is a select GK and one of the top in her league. You never know what they will do when they find their niche! Ds started GK at 6 and dd at 7. It was their calling. Lol.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Great story!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM

What a great story! I pictured them doing exactly what you wrote i hope the second game is just as fun andyou give us a recap of it! I'm sure the parents are so appreciative of the memories you are helping make
nyteacher29 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cmommy

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 AM

This takes me back! Ds started playing soccer when he was 3. During 1 game I had to go onto the field and untangle him from the goal netting. He'd got himself so tangled up and was hanging upside down. I always wished I'd had a picture ( he was in no danger). He's 10 now and still loves playing soccer - I'm always so thankful to his coaches for spending the time coaching!
Cmommy is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Great story, I could visualize everything. Thanks for the laugh and the memories of that age group

PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MrDes

Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 PM

Second game was better, but I made the mistake of giving out stickers per quarter. They actually were running around holding their stickers on and thusnot as fast . But they were super motivated to play.
MrDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

soccer
Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM

I LOVE your stories Reminds me of when DS started at 4. Most of that season, he just stood on the field and "waited" his turn to kick the ball. I finally had to tell him that this is a game where you just take the ball from them Had to undo what he was learning at home and preschool, to take turns. He worked his way up to high school varsity soccer and still enjoys it today as a young adult.

Keep these stories coming, please
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

Im laughing with you
Old 10-15-2016, 12:59 PM

DS (4) was on soccer last year at 3. It was a pure comedy show. My kid would have surely been nick-named Huggy because he was always hugging something or someone: the goalie, the players, the ball itself. Thankfully it was truly a for-fun league and no one took it too seriously.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Dubbamom

Tell the parents to take a video
Old 10-15-2016, 02:27 PM

I took a video of DS (now 11) at 4. He could not believe how many kids had to play with a parent holding their hand!

My DS was like dinosaur loving kid when he was 4. When he was on, he was on, when he was off, forget it!

The game I videoed he was on. And now he playing "up" on a travel team.

Keep doing what you're doing and tell the parents to video it. And tell World Cup parent to chillax.
Dubbamom is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Thank you. I feel just a little bit better about my kid having a total meltdown during his game today.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote