Help

The VENT

Vent A B and C

>

hiker1

Vent A B and C
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Vent A. I'm frustrated and tired of the gen. ed teachers that keep saying, "Can't you just keep him in your class all day?" I get that some students can be pistols, but this one in general is a gentle soul, is probably higher functioning academically than some of the other students. It's just because he has an IEP and teacher doesn't want to have him on her roster or give him grades.

Vent B-P. made a comment to a para about a sped student being in "time out". WHich he wasn't. He removed himself from the group because he just received a consequence that had some substance. He was still weeping, but attempting to work. I allowed him to sit by himself while he composed himself. I guess with Restorative Justice, we can't have a kid take a time out ( AND HE WASN"T IN TIMEOUT)

Vent C- New admin thinks my room is too stimulating. I have 3 grade levels every period. It looks like a proper sped classroom. Students are engaged in lessons in different areas of the room since students are at varying levels. I'm not placing students who have no number recognition wth the students that can add and subtract double digits.

Vent Over. I'm peeved about Vent A, mildly annoyed with Vent B, and just shaking my head at Vent C.
It's a vodka kind of night.

hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only taught 2 years in SpEd. I think some/many classroom teachers see students have an IEP and make assumptions about those students.

I KNOW many people, especially principals, have no idea what a SpEd teacher does, how many moving parts are involved throughout the course of a day and how many balls need to be jiggled at one time. I think classroom teachers think SpEd teachers are really just well paid paras. It's a shame. And people wonder why it's such a hard to fill position.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-29-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Come on over - the liquor cabinet is open at my house. Spedland is no joke, and people/admin who make it harder just make me want to beat my head against the wall. Cheers to the weekend!

Last edited by pdxteacher; 09-29-2017 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: I'm too tired for spelling.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
It's a vodka kind of night.
Every Friday is a vodka kind of night!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Drinking a glass of wine as I reply! Elementary resource teacher here with a caseload of 31 and growing. At one point in my day I have 15 4th and 5th graders for math with NO help! Teachers desperately want kids referred and at this point I have to ask them why? I can't give them the instruction that they need, try try as I may.....Sorry about your admin--sounds like they don't get it! I have support there just not the hands on support I need in the classroom.

WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm going to solve the problem by keeping my door locked. That way when they try to come in, I have a few seconds to tell them to switch gears.

Emmy

Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think SPED teachers are angels on Earth!

I'm retired now, but when teaching the first thing I wanted was the list of adaptations, the second was what the sped teacher thought were things I needed to know.

I hear things all the time about overstimulation, and it seems overrated. My regular kids didn't know where we kept the Kleenex after five months of school.

You have to train the principal what to look for in a SPEDRoom. Show him your charts and why they are there.

Mainly I want to say that I appreciate the special ed teachers. So many rules and regulations. So many different lessons.

Don't get discouraged because you are appreciated!!
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Vent A
Old 09-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just a thought- Do the gen ed teachers not want the student because they don't know how to grade him? Gen ed doesn't do modification and accommodation the same way sped does. At our school, we mainstream, but the gen ed teacher is not responsible for the subject grade. We report to the sped teacher who does their report cards.

Another thought- Does your district base evals on test scores? Could they be worried about that part of their evals? (A ridiculous practice in my opinion...)
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Singvogel,
Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I thought about that. There are students that score continously lower on assessment that this one.