Help

The VENT

Feeling Lost....more so by the day

>

teach_love

Feeling Lost....more so by the day
Old 10-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started a teaching job in primary. I have had 4 books given to me as new initiatives the district is putting in place. I will be honest. I have only gotten to skim 2 of them to half way learn what they are talking about. I have been working nearly 70 hours a week since 2 weeks before school began.

I'm exhausted and never seem to have enough time to meet all the initiatives. I got an email Friday that I am supposed to be in a district meeting this coming week, having read 4 chapters of yet a 5th book. I don't even have this book. I have emailed back and no response. Plus I am to complete some sort of assignment with the book and I don't even have the code to login to the site to do the assignments.

I can't teach for being a full time student...and I'm not even in college right now. :/ No wonder the pool for teachers is getting emptier by the day. I'm scared to see what education is going to look like in 5 years.

teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

your 1st duty
Old 10-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is all just distractions. Remember your 1st primary duty.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 10-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it were me, Iíd relax about the expectation for your meeting. Youíve done your due diligence emailing about the fact you donít have the required book and log in credentials. You canít do a task without the required materials. If suddenly your given them, Iíd explain about time restrictions and fairness. Others had such and such time to comeplete the assignment. You should have the same allotted time.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote
IMHO

IMHO

Don't Stress Out
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a long-time survivor, I would like to share what worked for me. It's all a matter of how one chooses to perceive their predicament. I worked for inept individuals who chose to be administrators for all the wrong reasons. Almost every year, teachers were given books and thick heavy manuals to read, often with accompanying assignments. Those that I deemed to be utter garbage were immediately placed on a shelf with all the others collecting dust. Consider yourself lucky if no one bothers to give you a login code - your email documents your attempt to get it, so you're off the hook. If possible team up with colleagues to whip out the assignments - use the same boiler plate, but just change the names. Just think of it as one dumb game in which you plan to come out as the winner! The truth is no one above you really cares; it makes their job easier. None of it is worth stressing out over.

Hawkeyegirl1

Just curious
Old 10-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What are the 4 books that you have to read?

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote