Help

Substitute Teachers

I got bit by a student.

>

sagethesub

I got bit by a student.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This school is the only elementary school in the district, over 700 1st-3rd Graders.
I can get 95% of my substitute jobs from this school.

This all happened on Monday, I was scheduled to work as a aide for the day (Pre-Arranged a couple weeks in advance) and as soon as I got there at the substitute coordinator called me into her office and said "Mr. Gonzalez, I need you to sign in the substitute book as the aide then to report to the 500 Hall because you will be helping out with Life Skills today. (Special Needs)

I had been in that classroom before, once last year, where a student pushed me to the ground and cracked my head open, fun times. Then one time this year when the assistant principal asked, but really it was a demand for me to try it again this school year, in my reluctance I said yes and nothing majorly wrong happened that day. I got punched a couple of times and scratched a couple of times where they made marks. That afternoon I went to the assistant principal where I said, "I hate to be difficult, but life skills is not for me; I am not trained to handle the students; it's just not for me so I would request not to be put there again. (I am a 19-year-old college student that is studying to become a elementary school teacher)

Now I have nothing against working with special needs students, but it just is not for me. I can't connect with them as I would with general education students, and it makes for a problem some combination. So back to what happened on Monday. There was a student that the two aides told me to watch out for, because he would continuously hit this girl in her wheelchair for NO REASON, so the aides said to me that whenever he looked like he was going to do that to "restrain him" He hit the student in the wheelchair really hard so I retrained him until a aide could come and help me gain control. He head budded me hard enough to busting my lip open and then bit my hand breaking the skin. As soon as the other aide got control of the student, I walked to the nurse to get checked out terrifying a couple of students on my walk to the nurse. As soon as I got checked out the nurse, she told me to see the principle to fill out a report. She wasn't there so I went to the assistant principal to fill out the formal report. I told him that I wouldn't go back to that classroom again, he told me that he wasn't trying to scare me away but it was a emergency. Long story short he called me the next day (today) to see how I was doing and to let me know that I will never again be put into that classroom again.

I just needed to vent, sorry if it is long!

sagethesub is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Well done!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry this happened but also want to say "Good for you." While I was never bitten, I discovered fairly early in my career that working in special needs was not my cup of tea. I've made it clear with admin and teachers that I want to teach and they have respected that. I do occasionally get called in a true emergency and will often help out on a very limited basis. (And when that happens they [spec ed folks] usually shift people around so I am not on the front line.) It sounds like admin is respecting your decision--that's a yay! The way you get treated is the way you teach people to treat you!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-02-2019, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry you got bit, but good to figure out that isn't your cup of tea.

In case you ever get yourself in that kind of situation again, most district have very strict laws on restraining students and people who might be in position to restrain a student have to be taught safe ways for them and for the student. I know that we do not teach substitutes restraint techniques, so it would be against the law for them to restrain. We also do not use restraint except as a last resort. In many districts, that would get you in trouble. (Not that I necessarily agree with all laws, but this is a big one right now...)

You should check that out just in case you find yourself in that situation. We would never have a sub back who restrained a child. It would be too big a liability - much less telling them to restrain someone if they "looked" like they were going to do something.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You should never have been placed in that classroom. Way, way too much liability for a sub, especially one as young and inexperienced as you are. In no way is that statement meant as a dig.

As I read your post, I was thinking exactly what Kahlua said about restraining a student. Nope, nope, nope. You got very lucky, b/c restraint can turn into a legal battleground.

This is why I cannot understand what in this world the P was thinking, to place you in that class. An emergency, huh? The P should’ve trotted his happy self down there and subbed for the sub. Believe me, admin wouldn’t hesitate to throw you under the bus if the parents had complained, or if the restrained student had gotten hurt.

I’m impressed that you stood up for yourself, and that you did so in a respectful way. While I want to think that the P was truly concerned about what happened to you, the devil on my shoulder is whispering that the P realized he’d screwed up and was trying to placate you to cover his ***. Let’s not forget that he told you to sign in as the aide, then immediately had you go to the living skills class. Mmm-hmm. Watch your back.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaurelM

Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm so sorry you got injured by a student. We shouldn't have to suffer pain at our job.

My opinion will be unpopular but I'll say it anyway: Getting hurt is not part of our job. Not ever. Not even once.

I understand that special needs kids act out and sometimes hurt their teachers and/or other students. I completely understand that they can't help it. But those kids must be with people who are trained to work with them. No substitute should EVER be put in that situation unless they have specific training.

You did the right thing to stand up for yourself. I am certain that the parents of those kids would agree. If I had a special needs child, I would never want him in a room with anyone who does has not been properly trained.

I'm aghast that this boy can hit a girl in her wheelchair. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

(everyone please hold your responses about "that's how it is these days..." having something happen does not make it okay!)

I don't have the answers, I just know you don't belong in that room.

Again, I'm sorry you went through this. Please take care of yourself!

LaurelM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Seems like that kid should not be in that classroom. He is violent and the other students are exposed to him (and the aides and teachers). At least, now, you know you'll never go back or if they ask, just say, "NO!"
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Not for you
Old 10-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I understand that Life Skills is not for you. I equate that to the fact that math is not for me.

With that in mind, I'm really confused as to why you had to restrain the child and why was he near the student in the wheelchair? I'm a special educator and work with Life Skills kids quite often. I would never ask someone who is not trained properly to restrain a student. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. You could have been working with other students and the trained paras could keep an eye on this young man.

I'm glad you are not going back in there if at all possible. You just aren't trained for that kind of contact. I hope you are healing well and make sure you get checked out if you need to.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 10-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Along with the helpful advice and information from other posters--this is definitely a worker's comp injury. Any and all medical expenses should be paid by the school district. I would definitely recommend that you see a doctor and also take pictures.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is why we get paid more to work in these classrooms. Usually the day is easy, but these types of injuries from students are not unusual.

Last week I was in an M/S high school class which was great all day and as easy a day as could be. There were lots of aides and another sub next door, with the classes mixed. I told the other sub,

" This is a great way to earn $192."

Then, as we were leaving for the day, A female student whacked me hard in the chest. It did no damage but was quite a shock. I earned my $192 after all.

Back in July of 2013, all the subs attended a one week special ed training supplied by the district where we did learn restraining techniques. We were also told that we were to never ever to be in a special ed class without an aide.

Well, we are without aides for an hour or two every day since they usually leave early. so they break their own policy most of the time. A couple times I have had no aide at all.

I have been in a couple kinder classes over the last few days, including today, where each class had a violent student that had to be sent home because they were hitting other students. One wonders why these students do not have one on one aides, and/or are not in special classrooms.

Ironically, the one that did actually have a one on one aide destroyed classroom property, but did not hurt students.

We are not allowed to sub as aides, because we are certificated and aides are classified, so I guess it is illegal for us to be an aide for the day in my largest district.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 10-08-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Can't even imagine
Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would never work where there is physical violence of any kind. How low the bar must be to not even have that worked out. I would be looking elsewhere. Not worth it.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-24-2019, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
This is why we get paid more to work in these classrooms.
In my district, the pay is actually the same no matter where you're stationed. And for a lot of these special ed jobs that let out early or have less classes than normal, the pay can actually be less. And then they wonder why these sped jobs just sit in the system for an eternity.

Funny enough, I had admin try and "trick" me into taking these jobs when I was still new. I'd come in at the end of a long day to return my keys and they'd say "would you like to work again tomorrow?" and naive little old me would say "sure, sounds great!" and then they'd throw me in for severe special ed. I learned reeeeeeeal quick to ask who it was, while pretending to leaf through my phone calendar like I was seeing if I was free that day or not.

Anyway, OP, that experience sounds truly frightening. Most of the time when I sub severe sped like that, I just feel useless all day because they don't actually want me to do anything. And that's the real reason I don't do it, that along with generally lower pay due to the class letting out early a lot for some reason around here. It's incredible that they expected you to restrain a child. Actually ridiculous.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote