Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Mom's and Dad's...

>

Sprite

Mom's and Dad's...
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM

What did you do with your infant that was fun?

I'm starting to go a little stir crazy. We have had a few visitors and have a few more next week. We go to the doctor and we have gone to Olive Garden once.

Other than that.. all the lovely things I thought of doing with my baby... are things we will do when he gets bigger.

What fun things did you do when they were really tiny?

Oh I have another 2 questions...

1. When did you use your swing with your baby? He just wakes for feedings and changing.. even when I try to keep him up and moving he falls asleep.

2. Did you do diaper changes before or after feedings?

Sprite is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Did you do diaper changes before or after feedings?
Yes.
wite text
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-09-2019, 01:19 PM

I'm not a parent but you might check your local YMCA and see if they have a Mommy and Me class or something like that. And I have 2 friends who have done baby swim classes (I don't know how old their babies were when they started but I think YOUNG).
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Because my first answer was silly, how old is the infant? For the most part, it's pretty much just talking/singing/reading to them for the first several months.

GraceKrispy

Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM

When I had infants, I just did everything I wanted to do. I didn't do a lot "for/with" them so much as they just joined me in my activities. I remember being really excited to try all sorts of things, but really a baby just needs love and attention. I forget how old your little one is, but just going about your day and talking to him is what I'd do. (as long as he's safe, of course- don't expose him to germs if it's too early for him to be out- especially because he's just been sick)

Diaper changes at all times, all over the place. Just change the diaper when it's soiled/ wet. Whenever that is, you change. If my baby was wet before a feeding, I'd change him/her then. Chances are good baby will need changing shortly after a feeing!

I didn't really use a swing too much with my younger two. I think for my oldest we just used a swing to calm him because he was super fussy.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 03-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Did you do diaper changes before or after feedings?
Yes.
this is what I was getting at by asking.. It's before AND after.. I just don't want him to be uncomfortable!

Quote:
When I had infants, I just did everything I wanted to do. I didn't do a lot "for/with" them so much as they just joined me in my activities. I remember being really excited to try all sorts of things, but really a baby just needs love and attention. I forget how old your little one is, but just going about your day and talking to him is what I'd do. (as long as he's safe, of course- don't expose him to germs if it's too early for him to be out- especially because he's just been sick)
Yes, what I am thinking is.. he sleeps so much! More than I thought and I am wondering if I should wake him to play more. He is almost 3 months .. but the Dr. said developmentally to look at him more like a newborn.

KatieViolet

Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Never wake a sleeping baby!

Yes, I agree with Grace. Live your life as normally as possible, with some extra face to face baby time thrown in! Do the laundry and talk to baby as he lays in a swing. Or wear him on a carrier while you clean the house or go shopping.

I didnít do a ton of baby activities when they were that tiny. I did read to them, sing, etc a lot. And narrated everything I did. We did play a little with toys, like during tummy time. But youíre right they canít do much!

Enjoy your little bundle!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Never wake a sleeping baby!
True story. I used to joke I would hesitate to wake the baby if the house were on fire.

love_to_learn

Old 03-09-2019, 02:06 PM

I love my kids, but they were pretty boring as babies, haha! Or they were fussy! I went stir crazy pretty quickly.

I loved babywearing. Tulas are pretty popular. I had a Babyhawk. That way you can snuggle while doing your own stuff. I really enjoyed it. Then you can just talk/song as you go about what you are doing.

One liked the swing one didn't. I used it when they were fussy or I wanted a break from holding/wearing them.

I just changed them as needed, which was often.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Things I can remember
Old 03-09-2019, 02:11 PM

I used to take baby where I needed to go in a baby sling. We'd walk or shop. While at home, baby slept and I recovered/slept, too. I read while baby slept, too. When baby was awake, we read, sang, and just generally had conversation - one sided until baby babbled.
I had quite a selection of music from Music for Little People to give us a full library of songs to sing.

SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-09-2019, 02:37 PM

This isnít a fun answer but I would be very, very stingy with outings right now. Baby was a premie and just got out of the hospital. All of his energy needs to go towards healing and getting stronger. Sleep is what his little body needs right now. His immune system is probably on the weaker side too.

As for the diapers. All. The. Time. Also the most inconvenient times. They love to fill a clean diaper. Sometimes minutes after a change, or bonus points for during a change.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-09-2019, 03:08 PM

I donít think this is what you want to hear, but when my kids were infants and awake, they did chores with me. Piles and piles of never ending laundry. Cooking and picking up (no time for real cleaning). I talked constantly, explaining our activities, and they politely pretended to be interested. Then there were the baths and feedings and diaper changes and clothes changes.

The remaining hours, when they slept, I still had chores to do (and I snuck in a few pages of reading for me).

A shower (for me) was a luxury.

I thought a baby was a full-time job. I canít imagine how you teach all day and come home to a baby looking for something to do. Clearly, you are a much more accomplished parent than I was.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 03-09-2019, 03:16 PM

I used to read a lot to my babies. They liked board books with pictures of other babies. I talked to them, laid on the floor with them showing them different toys. We went for a lot of walks, but my kids were born in warmer weather. I don't think they did much until about 5/6 months when they smiled and exhibited more of a personality.
ASAM is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 03-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Cando Kiddo is a fantastic website/social media account with activities for babies of all ages.

When mine was that age, awake time would be nurse, change, then some of: tummy time, play on her back in her play gym, reading, singing, watching me do chores (sitting in her bouncy seat or wearing her in a carrier.) However, she would only nap on me much of the time so her awake time was when I crammed in all of the things I needed to do!

We didn't go out much this time of year (she was born in Feb.) Once it got a bit nicer and she'd had some of her vaccinations we'd go for walks, run errands, go to story time at the library or baby drop in at the family resource center.

I used the swing or bouncy chair when I needed to set baby down for a few minutes (to use the washroom, make supper, etc.) Once in a while she'd nap in the swing if she wouldn't sleep elsewhere. Babies shouldn't spend too much time contained in "baby holding devices" so don't feel like he needs time in the swing!
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Amiga, Iím not working right now.

And yes laundry is never ending.

mhugs

Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Remember your baby is a premie and has some time to make up.
Enjoy him just being little and sweet. Watch him, rock him, sing lullabies, cuddle, soon he will be awake more. I think it wise to be cautious about exposure to others until he has had time to build up his strength from his illness. You don't want him to have a relapse. Lots of nasty germs out there this time of year. If the weather allows and you live where you can walk safely I think taking a baby out for a daily walk is good for them and mom.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

I have nothing to add...
Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM

for the previous posters covered pretty much everything I thought of.

PPs are right --- just keep your little one involved in all the mundane daily things you do - but vocalize them.

Sing, read, rock, walk, talk....all the time!

One point that someone else made: If you are to consider him as a newborn as the doctor said, I would also be wary of taking him out among the population much. Too many beastie germs out there right now (at least in our neck of the woods).

Also, you have a slew of people who are not vaccinating. My state has one of the HIGHEST populations. Really scares me. You do not was to unintentionally expose him to any of those diseases before he's had his shots.

And our district health department recommends a DPT booster for adults. Can't remember the length of time between, but for me it had been somewhere around 7-10 years. A friend became a new grandmother and got one before visiting her new grandson.

Can't remember how old mine were before putting them in a swing, but for both of them ---- it was a lifesaver at times!!

And have fun changing those diapers! Remember, every time you have to change him means that he is thriving! Yay!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Baby
Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM

I agree with all posts. Lots of talking, singing, narrating what youíre doing. Hold him and rock him. Be present for him.

As to swing....I think 3 months, but neither of my girls liked it much. I used to stash them in the swing when I really need a fast shower or had to go to the bathroom!! No mom of the year award here.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 03-09-2019, 04:21 PM

My kids were about 3 months when I tried the swing. Just shoved blankets around their little fat bodies to prop them up. I agree with everyone else, just do your things and drag him along. I feel this is a great way for babies to learn. I donít think I would have gotten the mom of the year either. I just loved them, fed them, changed them, and held them...a lot! My youngest is 16 now, oldest 24 and they thank me all the time for being the mom I am. You will do fine.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

crayonbox

Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 PM

My kiddos both loved the swing and they were in them almost from day 1. Our first baby was a solid little girl so she stayed in just fine. The 2nd baby was a preemie but weighed in at 7#11oz. When he got out of the NICU he also loved the swing. We probably could not have made it through the colic without the swing and 100 pacifiers for that little guy!

I bet you are enjoying every minute with Baby Sprite.
crayonbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM

I did a lot of reading and singing to my babies, and actually a lot of rocking with the fussy one. One the weather gets nicer, you can take lots of walks in a stroller or carrier.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 PM

http://www.brillbaby.com/free-downlo...tion-cards.php

Print some cards like these and hold them in front of baby- move slowly from side to side so baby can track with eyes. It's great for visual development.

Do you have a playmat? Like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Pr...y-Gym/39577489

It's super important to give baby time on the floor on his back and his stomach for development, and a playmat is a great way!

Change diapers every 2 hours or so when awake unless he poops sooner.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 PM

I agree with the others:
Read to him
Talk to him
Take stroller walks
Just spend time rocking in a rocking chair
Car rides......

Diaper changes whenever needed or about every couple of hours.

Let him sleep as much as he wants to sleep. Our DD (the one we fostered and adopted later on) was a two month preemie. Our pediatrician told us that until about the age of 3 she should be considered two months younger in developmental milestones.

I agree with the others that you do need to be careful of exposure in crowds of people, but what our doctor told us was that if the baby was well enough to come home from the hospital she was well enough for us to do whatever we would do with any other baby.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Iím home on maternity leave currently. My son just turned 3 months old yesterday. I understand feeling stir crazy but I agree with being careful of exposing him to germs. I havenít brought my son out at all and have even kept visitors to our home to almost no one because of the germs/flu going around. Weíve only gone to the doctors and church. So, I understand getting cabin fever... but itís worth it to protect him while his immune system builds.

We spend our day having tummy time, singing, reading... I also am sleeping when he sleeps, some chores, and pumping in addition to breast feeding. I like to wear him during the day and try to get some things done.

Also, Iíve learned that since babies sleep on their backs itís really important for tummy time to not only strengthen them but give their heads a break. Obviously, itís ok to put him down but they recommend not keeping babies in ďconvenience carriersĒ for too long during the day. Iíve found a lot of fun activities on Pinterest. You can also try getting an app like BabyCenter .. theyíll give you things to do at developmental milestones.

Most of all ENJOY this time / I find that itís flying by soooo fast!!
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 03-09-2019, 06:57 PM

This is awful, but true (my poor daughter)
My mother and sister went NUTS buying clothes for the first grandbaby/niece. My sister was also out of work when DD was itty bitty. She would come over and we would dress her in the silly fancy outfits they bought and take pictures. No joke. Several little dresses were only worn for a picture.
We had fun, but I don't recommend it

We didn't really go out much when our kids were little. Lots of time with family and friends and just staring at the babies
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Old 03-09-2019, 07:52 PM

I joined a local Mom's club to help keep me sane.
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Well....what I did with ds18 was literally try to stay sane. He cried all.the.time. and never slept. He would claw at his face if his eyes started to close. I kept telling him.."You cant DO anything! You're an infant! Go to sleep please..." Hence the reason my kiddos are 5 years apart.

Let that sweetie sleep!
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote