Help

The VENT

SSI is sucking out my soul...

>

kerrysgirl

SSI is sucking out my soul...
Old 05-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In Texas, kids in 8th grade who don't pass ELA or Math STAAR are required to attend extra tutorials. My school decided to do in-school tutorials (fine with me) for FOUR HOURS PER DAY FOR TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT (NOT fine with me). OMG, there's only so much ELA the kids can do in a day before everyone's eyes glaze over, even when it's including games, brain breaks, etc.

One week is over. They all look like zombies and it's 9:30 in the morning.

Oh--and I'm required to go over and over released STAAR testing materials constantly for the two weeks.

BLERRRRRRRG!!!

Who thinks that's a good idea?

kerrysgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

TxTeacher7th

TxTeacher7th

Old 05-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel you! I teach 7th ELAR in Texas, but our 8th grade teachers look like they want to pull their hair out with passage after passage of practice! I'm not sure what I think would be best in placed of the practice though--what do you think would help more? I always wonder if only having a couple weeks in between getting scores and them retaking the test really makes that big of a difference...

annon4this

Same here
Old 05-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím in the same boat with 5th grade. Endless hours of tutoring using basically the same material. The kids are bored to tears and so am I. Iíve decided to throw in some review games using Quizzizz, Kahoot, task cards, and plain old-fashioned foldables to review STAAR vocabulary to break the monotony. Thank God we only have one more week of this. Canít wait for this stupid test to be over with
annon4this is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 05-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught 5th grade math for 5 years and threw in the towel and went up to 5th. I hated the retesting/reteaching thing.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Wow
Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's child abuse, honestly. Those kids might pass a test, but their attitude towards learning and school is being irrevocably altered. These aren't kids who are going to want to go to college

Claire

Old 05-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes!! I'm on 5th doing the same with ELA. They're not going to pass the second time either. Everyone that was capable of passing did pass and mostly meet or master. It's a huge waste of everyone's time and energy.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote