Future Teachers

Professional Development for Teachers

>

inprogress

Professional Development for Teachers
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

I am currently a college student working toward becoming a teacher, I actually had a few questions that I hope can spark some conversation so I can get a better understanding of professional development for teachers and options.

First off, has professional development courses helped you become more confident in your teaching style?

Also, do you think you should be responsible for ongoing development or do you think the district you work for should be responsible for ensuring all teachers continue to learn and absorb new techniques for their classrooms?

Any responses would be great, thank you!

inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My thoughts...
Old 04-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
First off, has professional development courses helped you become more confident in your teaching style?
Some have been helpful, useful, and informative. Others were not. However, I believe that 99% of it is what you put into it. If you go in with the mindset that it's going to be a waste, it will be a waste. If you go in the mindset that you will find at least one new thing try to, one thing to feel better about, learn one new tool, meet at least new person you can network with, etc. you usually can. So much of it is your mindset.

Quote:
Also, do you think you should be responsible for ongoing development or do you think the district you work for should be responsible for ensuring all teachers continue to learn and absorb new techniques for their classrooms?
Well, I think it should be a mixture. I do think districts should have funds for at least some professional development for teachers. I don't think it's right to require teachers to pay for all of their professional development. However, I also understand they can't afford to pay for every teacher to go to everything that they want to learn about. I do think schools should offer some professional development, and in fact, when professional development is done as a school or as a district, I find it more helpful than when teachers from all over are there. My reasoning is that so often successful implementation of what they are teaching you depends on factors controlled by the school or district (expectations, resources, time, etc.). It's hard to implement it if your school or district isn't on board. If it's something put on by the school or district, chances are they are already on board (although I've been to some where they still weren't on board... ) I do think teachers should take ownership of professional learning, though in the sense of follow through, asking questions, reflective practice, trying what they learned, etc. However, the school needs to make sure there is an environment set up to allow for that.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Some have, and some haven't. It depends on the content and the presentation, and whether or not the material is relevant to my grade level.

Quote:
I think the school district has a duty to provide access to professional development, either in-district, or out of district, and offer to offset all or some of the cost. I am not talking about flying from Ohio to Hawaii, but rather neighboring districts, etc.
I think it's the teacher's responsibility to look at the offerings and decide which ones to attend. One caveat--if a principal sees a particular session that would benefit a teacher for a specific area (I am thinking a teacher that really needs help with classroom management, for example), then the principal should pay the teacher's way, and highly encourage him/her to do it.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote