do your cats constantly scratch their own faces??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

do your cats constantly scratch their own faces???

>

tia

do your cats constantly scratch their own faces???
Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM

I've never had a cat (still don't) but one has been living with us for over a year--he's almost 1.5 YO. he is CONSTANTLY rubbing his face against the corners of walls and edges of boxes--anything that sticks out/has an edge.

(no fleas--no skin issues)

do all cats do this? he barely allows you to pet him occasionally--and certainly not on his tummy (guess he's not a dog) but he'll sit for an hour if you are scratching under his chin or around his whiskers.

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-03-2020, 02:23 PM

Yes- they have scent glands there and they are marking everything as their territory. My cat likes to rub his face on me too .
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 01-03-2020, 02:36 PM

Perfectly normal!
You are also correct that you don't have a cat because the cat has you!

Believe it or not but I've discovered that some cats may take years to become more dog-like. And for some mysterious reason we are grateful when they do.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 PM

My cat has rubber jaw syndrome. He rubs his face on things like the edges of furniture.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Our rescue feral cat
Old 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM

is quite affectionate on her terms. Took us over 6 months of hard work to get her to trust us. Worth it though. She rubs herself on all the edges of the house.

She also sneaks into to bed with me to give me a grooming. She sleeps on her back all over the house but she only lets you pet her on her terms. Loves belly rubs, ear, and face rubs. Petting her on her back seems to worry her, so we don't do it. We domesticated her 14 years ago. Never scratched or bit. However, if a stray or feral creek cat comes to our kitchen door, our cat goes nuts and makes the most aggressive sounds. I would not even touch her until she calms down. She puffs up to twice her size and she is almost 15 pounds. Cats are wonderful pets, but I do feel the wild instinct never really leaves them. Especially if you tamed a truly feral one.

Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-04-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
the wild instinct never really leaves them. Especially if you tamed a truly feral one.
I agree. I have two big fellas who are tamed feral cats. They both rub on everything in the house, including me, and I get groomed every day. They show their wild instincts in a lot of ways but that's part of what makes them such satisfying cats to live with. They are more companionable and devoted than any other feline I've shared my home with - and I've belonged to some lovely cats in the past.

Tia, how is it that you've been living with a cat you don't belong to for so long? It's possible that he's marking territory so aggressively because he doesn't feel at home. That's likely why you aren't allowed to pet his belly, too. Many cats love to have their bellies rubbed but only by people they trust 100%
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote