Help

First Grade

Frustrated with the New Class

>

ReeB83

Frustrated with the New Class
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think my new students and I are already sick of each other.

Two of them cry hysterically like preschoolers every morning. I literally watch two other little darlings play Minecraft in their minds every time I use the words "let's open our books".

This group is chatty chatty chatty. I spend a lot of time tapping shoulders and catching talkers completely off guard. It's okay\; someone else just gives them the answer and it's all good.

"What was your favorite part of the story?" "The end, 'cause it was over".

I've got one girl who can't spell her name, another who is completely unaware of the fact that she is talking at FULL VOLUME during my lesson.

The class is mostly very bright, which makes the review portion of our reading series excruciating. We practice blending so that they can use that strategy on bigger words later, but there's that one kid in the back who yells "It's 'SWIM'!"

Never thought I'd say this.....miss my old class.

ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

Encouragement
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep plugging away. You know they are testing you. Be consistent, use your logical consequences and it will come....

BTW, your narrative is HYSTERICAL! Honestly. I know it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating in the moment, but reading it here made me laugh. I have a tough year ahead and I plan to use your student's answer...

For example:
DH (upon coming home from work):What was your favorite part of your day?
Me: The end, cause it is over.

Hahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

last year
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like last year's class. Positive comments to the rule-followers, ignore the talkers/blurters, if possible...skip as much of the review as possible. How much of that do they really need? Model appropriate responses to your questions, or maybe revamp your questions and start by giving them 3 possible choices...maybe "most exciting part", model classroom voice level and then have the loud talker model for the rest of the class. Good luck. Groups like this are exhausting.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

funandsun

Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Since you have many who are bright maybe you should do review in small group for those that need it. (I know easier said than done at this time of the year) Do you think they would do better with partner activities, literacy stations, etc. as you work with small groups? Maybe whole group can be a story using same reading strategy as your reading series. We did "David" books this week to focus on rules, but also using pictures to determine how characters felt. My very active first graders (mostly all boys) really liked these books and were very engaged with story and making their own David books using the words "No, David" and "Yes, David". The special ed aide in my room has already told me she doesn't know how she is going to be able to handle all this activity/noise this year. The beginning of the year is tough with this age group. And I definitely miss my old class, but I am adjusting to my 15 boys and 6 girl class. Good luck!
funandsun is offline   Reply With Quote