Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

No more post-game handshakes in high school

>

trishg1

No more post-game handshakes in high school
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 AM

My state's high school athletic association has made a ruling that makes me shake my head. Citing two dozen incidents in the last 7 years, referree's will no longer have athletes shake hands after games. While I know that I've seen my share of heated games, what does this teach anyone?

http://www.murraysports.net/KHSAAs-n...e-is-silly.htm

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Alternative
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 AM

When I played HS sports (many, many years ago! ) we did not shake hands at the completion of a game. We did however give the other team a cheer. Something as simple as "2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate?" would work well.

Just a thought.
smithf1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

No offense...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 AM

I hope this doesn't come across snarky, but I can't imagine my son's HS football team chanting "2, 4, 6, 8 Who do we appreciate?" after a heated football game. Although I think it would make me laugh so hard to see fully bearded barrel chested 200-lb young men chanting it, it might be worth it!!!

I get your point though, smithf1. Why do completely away with it when there could be an alternative.

*sigh*
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Interesting
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 AM

How does the athletic association plan on fostering good sportsmanship if they aren't allowed to congratulate the other team or thank them for coming? Why not just penalize those that instigate the "incidents"? Curious.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 AM

I saw this on the news yesterday. I think it's ridiculous! I agree with the last portion of the editorial -

Quote:
It makes far more sense to teach our kids that a game is just a game and after it's over, no matter what happened during the game, we should treat each other with respect. If an "incident" occurs, use it as a teaching moment. And hold coaches and administrators accountable. If we are really interested in molding our youth into young men and women we can be proud of then this is the least we can do.

I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 AM

I agree. In 6 years of coaching middle school volleyball, I have had 2 incidents. The first was a player who refused to greet and went crying to the bathroom. I followed her, talked to her, encouraged her, and let her know that behavior was unacceptable. She apologized to the other coach/team personally.

The other was a player who was passive-aggressive slapper under the net. Again, I handled it.

I admit, I don't like to lose. I often engage in positive self talk on my way to the net, but that's what it's all about. You learn to leave your personal problems when you get on the floor, and you learn to leave the game on the floor when you leave.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 AM

If you cannot show some amountnof class after a sporting event, you do not deserve to be on the field, court, whatever.

I am competitive... I love to win... DH coaches... DS competes. If either of them (especially DS) showed that they could not shake hands appropriately I would be severely disappointed.

It is a very sad comment on the way our society is going if people cannot control themselves after a game!
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kteach2

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 AM

: confused:Is all I can say to that!! No, I can say more.... Why are we so afraid to hold people accountable for their actions? And why aren't parents doing their jobs to teach their child about sportsmanship and humility? I just don't get it? : confused:
Kteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM

If someone doesn't know how to act appropriately, ban the activity!! It's infuriating. My grandson's baseball team had one player that did some trash talking in the handshake line one time. The coach came down on him and the entire team hard. Didn't happen again. A learning experience, what a concept
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Momof2G1B

Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM

They do that in elementary school on up. It's a great way to show sportsmanship and respect. It is the adults who set the tone. If any of our players show bad sportsmanship they are disciplined by the coach. We have told our kids you need to show good sportsmanship whether you win or lose. My son celebrated a little too much after a win one time and his dad set him straight. You never know when you are on the other side. I am disappointed with this athletic association. I hope ours never takes a wrong turn that way.

Momof2G1B is offline   Reply With Quote

sparky123

Soccer
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM

I love how the guys shake hands with the other team at the end of a game..especially when they switch shirts
sparky123 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM

When dh and I were watching a NFL game this weekend I commented on how nice it was that the players of the two teams were talking to each other and congratulating each other after the game.

How sad that your athletic association isn't stepping up to encourage and teach sportsmanship. Pathetic.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

2liltexans

Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 PM

I saw this shirt on pinterest and cracked up. My son plays lacrosse and THOSE games get REALLY heated at times. I can see some of those boys doing this.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
2liltexans is offline   Reply With Quote