Nutrisystem---what do you know about it? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Nutrisystem---what do you know about it?

>

klarabelle

Nutrisystem---what do you know about it?
Old 12-31-2019, 06:21 PM

I need to loose weight and have been trying to find one that will work for me and have seen Nutrisystem has a BOGO offer going on.

Has anyone used this program to loose weight? Did you loose a lot [what you wanted to loose]? Do you have to buy any additional food? I'm just looking for something I can throw into the microwave and go.

TIA
K

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I tried it.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:34 PM

I lost about 15 pounds the first 3 months, but then I didn't lose any more. I didn't like the fact that so much of the food was processed and boxed. Some of the food was good, but it was very bland. I gave up on Nutrisystem and switched to weightwatchers. I've lost 30 pounds on weightwatchers.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Gallstones
Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 PM

A teacher I worked with developed gallstones while on it. Her doctor told her it was not a good diet and she discontinued it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 12-31-2019, 06:41 PM

My mom did Nutrisystem- I tried a few meals and they were absolutely terrible. She said after a few months one day she woke up and realized how terrible it tasted :P

Jenny Craig’s food is actually pretty good, and I had a lot of success with it (lost about 50lbs) a couple years ago when I did it. The problem with these programs is that they don’t set you up for the long term- I do really well when I am on them, but they don’t really help you transition to “real life”.

My roommate does https://www.territoryfoods.com/
The meals look really good- he takes one of these meals for lunch, then does a basic dinner of chicken and veggie. He’s lost like 40lbs the past few months.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-31-2019, 07:12 PM

I tried it and didn't like it. I lost about 14-15 pounds right away, but then kind of stopped because the meals were not tasty nor satisfying. Like Linda said-boxed and processed. Not healthy at all, imo. You'd be better off just counting calories.

Another negative. They make you place 2 orders before you can cancel. And I think the 2nd order has to be over 100 or 200 dollars. Can't remember which amount.

It's expensive...

I still have 2 large boxes of Nutrisystem food in my pantry that I've never opened...what a waste of money!

Honestly, I would try something else.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-31-2019, 08:39 PM

My dh lost 80 pounds on Jenny Craig and has kept it off for two and half years. He is a cooking expert and was a bit skeptical about the food . He went to his first appointment ,ate his first meal that night and never looked back. The key is to sign up long term for the once a week personal check ins with the counselor. This keeps dh accountable. He has learned an entirely different approach to food and portion control.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-01-2020, 04:34 AM

I had a friend do it and lose a lot of weight. The problem was moving from the prepared food to her own food (or fast food because chose to not cook on many occasions), she gained it all back and then some.

You will never, ever be able to keep weight off by going with a program where you throw food in the microwave and go because you don't learn how to cook and eat without prepared meals.

choppie70

Old 01-01-2020, 05:11 AM

I think if you want convenience, it will help. But, like any program for weight loss that offers pre packaged food, you do not learn the habits to keep the weight off.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Musings re: Nutri-System and weight loss
Old 01-01-2020, 01:16 PM

I was on Nutri-system before my wedding back in 1983. I know, a looong time ago! It was convenient, yes, but I agree with much of what the previous posters have said.

I was on WW - not very successfully. Upon reflection, I feel it was because, although following the points, I was choosing the wrong foods.

I needed a lifestyle change but didn't realize that's what I needed.

A good friend discovered the Code Red Lifestyle and, like me, had been on a variety of diets such as Jenny Craig, WW, and others. We've talked diets for years!

She was a great example of the success of Code Red, and I decided to try it. It is homegrown, and no, I don't agree with absolutely everything about it, but I have been more successful on it than anything I've done in 30 years. It also promotes a healthy LIFESTYLE and not "diet."

Code Red is heavily dependent on its facebook community. Lots and lots of support and ideas there!!! I won't go into details here, you can find some information online, but since the program is proprietary (like WW, Nutri-System, etc.), you pay for the core of it, but it does NOT have to be expensive. I paid $47 for the August "10 Pound Takedown Challenge" (the introduction to the lifestyle) and have paid nothing else since. I lost my 10 pounds in one month, and have continued losing by following that. Total loss: 30 pounds since August 19. It is low-carb, no grains or sugars, but promotes little processed food and getting back to protein, veggies, and healthy fats. I get everything I need at the grocery store and my grocery bill has actually decreased. I have not felt like I was hungry, few cravings, and for the first time feel such success.

This is a lifestyle change for me and the family, and one that we will continue to follow into maintenance.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Thank you for your replies.....
Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM

it will save me money. I'll keep looking for what is right for me to be successful.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote