Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tax prep software

>

sonoma

Tax prep software
Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Iíve been using the same tax person for 20 years and I am ready for a change. I complete an organizer with all my info. Each year I have to remind her to send it formatted for a Mac. I received this yearís again in the wrong format. I have been trying all week to contact her but her message box is full and she has no email.

I have nothing complicated. I have been looking at tax prep software. Is it as easy as they make it sound? And cheap? It looks like I could use a free version for my federal return then pay about $20 for the state.

Can the program be used for more than one return? I mean can I purchase one and file both mine and my daughterís or would we each have to purchase one?

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

I've used Turbo Tax
Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 PM

We've used Turbo Tax online for several years until my DH started his own business. It was easy to use by just answering the questions it asked. My DD and DS were able to do theirs online too with a different username and password. You can always try it. We didn't have to pay until we got to the end to file. I don't remember the price, but you can have it deducted from your refund. I don't remember it being very expensive at all, especially compared to bringing it to someone else to file.
momteachsis is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Tax
Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 PM

We have used Turbo Tax for a number of years. It is rather easy to use and it even reminds us if we haven't done a deductions that we took from the year before, It also gives us an option to see if we'd pay less tax just using the standard deduction, There is a section for state tax but we don't have a state income tax.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-12-2020, 12:01 AM

I used Turbo Tax for several years and felt like it was easy. Then I went to a financial planner who asked to see my tax returns. He found a mistake right away. He filed amended returns for me for something like 3 years worth and I got almost 1,000 dollars back. I have stocks and get a form form from the company. One of the boxes was blank, so I'd been entering a 0 there on the Turbo Tax form. Apparently you're supposed to figure out what number goes there yourself . I had NO idea. Now I pay someone to do mine.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 01-12-2020, 04:06 AM

I have been using TaxACT online for many years now. The most complicated thing I've had in taxes is when my kids were in college and doing the college credit, but even that wasn't bad once I figured it out.

There are different versions of what you can buy( depending on what types of things you need to report). There are often discounts. . Each person has to pay for their own return.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Taxes
Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 AM

We use turbo tax. Have never had a problem...easy, peasy
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 01-12-2020, 05:30 AM

I've used both TaxACT online and Turbo Tax in the past few years. For the most part, easy. Last year I needed to figure out my son's taxes, who gets paid as an independent contractor. Used Turbo Tax, and got it done.

The only thing I liked about using a real life person to do my taxes was the fact that I knew it was right. But after 7 years of having someone else do it, and not seeing anything different from what I would have done, I'm on my own with no looking back.

The first few years I did look back at my taxes that had been prepared by someone to double check what I'd done.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-12-2020, 05:31 AM

Iíve used the free Turbo Tax for years. My taxes are super simple, a W-2 and my mortgage interest.

Iíve never had any issues. My Dadís taxes are quite complicated and heís used Turbo Tax forever.

No state tax here so not sure on that part...
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 01-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Iíve used Turbo Tax for years. I efile my Federal and mail in my State. Yes, more than one person can use the software.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 AM

My taxes are super simple because itís just me. Iíve used Turbo Tax for years and never had a problem.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Turbo tax
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 AM

I am a fan of Turbo Tax. Iíve used it for probably as long as itís been available. Itís easy and more than one person can use the program. I think it comes with three federal filing allowances.

Iím sure other tax software is just as good, but I never explored since what I use is fine.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote