Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bought tickets for summer vacation

>

kahluablast

Bought tickets for summer vacation
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 AM

I have had very little luck in getting dh to travel internationally outside US properties. He came up with the idea of going to Germany this summer and we bought tickets last night!

Of course, Germany was never a location I was particularly interested in, but he was stationed there in his youth and is excited, so I don't mind. There are some pretty neat things to see and do there. We are making a list of stuff we need to do to get ready, so this will actually be a vacation we plan together! Other than the motorcycle he wants to rent and drive up the Alps.... I need a pair of chaps. And maybe medical marijuana so I don't freak out and panic. . Can I get that in Germany? I don't have a prescription.

Exciting! Usually our vacations are camping trips where we don't have electricity or running water for weeks at a time adn are in the middle of nowhere. Not that I don't like that - we have seen some awesome things and had some very exciting adventures... This is in a different vacation level altogether!

What are you doing this summer?

PS- NOTHING wrong with staying home and catching up on some household stuff. We are all in different places in our lives. I had many years where vacation was a trip to Grandma's or my Army Reserve drill time. Those were good years, too.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Vacation
Old 01-12-2020, 08:56 AM

You are lucky DH agreed to go. I suspect once heís had a taste, heíll want to travel more.

We booked our cabin in the mountains two weeks ago. Now that weíre retired, we go later in August, when crowds (and kids) are gone. Three blissful weeks.

Hoping to plan a shorter camping trip. DH isnít so thrilled about this.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

My Son In Law
Old 01-12-2020, 09:19 AM

and daughter traveled to Austria and Germany last fall, and they rented three cars. SIL reserved a convertible and everyone else was jealous. They said it was so convenient for seeing everything without craning their necks to see out the window. Just a thought.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 AM

I want to get out to Indiana to see my sister and her family. I think I'll take the train by myself and then DH will drive out a few days later. Then we can ride home together.

I also REALLY wanna try out camper camping. We're in VA and are looking into renting one near Acadia Park in Maine so we don't have to drive hauling one. DH's idea of camping is a hotel without free wifi, so this is a big deal that he wants to give it a go.

There have been summers at home that I've LOVED. I've had fun taking day trips, finding craft classes I love, welcoming friends and family from out of town, and just flat out being lazy as hell.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 01-12-2020, 11:02 AM

I havenít bought tickets yet, but I just committed to a trip to Switzerland in September.

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-12-2020, 11:23 AM

My parents will be visiting to see my new house. I'm going to try to convince my best friend from home to come out for a visit as well.

I'm someone who likes the idea of travelling, but honestly doesn't enjoy it that much once it's actually happening. And when I think about how much money is spent on just that one week or so, especially when I end up not having that good of a time, it really bothers me.

I'd honestly like to work but my district has very few summer opportunities, and nearby districts won't hire outsiders for their summer schools, or if they do they pay them much less than district employees/it's not worth it. We have a 3 week summer program with literally like 4 employees from the entire district. Two years ago I applied for the reading and lost out to a teacher I don't particularly get along with, which still bothers me. Now she just gets to do it every year. Last year they offered me an interview for the math position, but I have no interest in teaching math for four hours per day- plus our math curriculum takes WAY more prep than the reading one does.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Germany
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Do you have your passports? If not get on that right away-takes some time. Where are you flying into?

As far as I know marijuana medical or otherwise isn't legal in Germany. Which is why trips to Amsterdam are popular with German young people.

We found http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum helpful. You can click on Germany and ask questions. Our American driver's license worked for driving cars not sure about motorcycles. When your DH was stationed there he was under military code not civilian law. Just keep that in mind. Germany is so much fun. Intercity travel by train is easy and rather cheap. So different than train travel in the USA.www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I love Germany!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:04 PM

My family is German (my mom came to the States when she was 6 years old). I lived in Bavaria in my teens. I miss it - itís been too many years since Iíve visited.

Where are you going?
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM

I am in the process of trying to book a beach house for our biannual family beach trip. As the family grows, it gets harder and harder finding places that will accommodate our bedding needs that we can afford. We do love our family time though!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Trip
Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Germany is a very enjoyable place to vacation. Iíve gone several times. I havenít gone on an international trip in quite some time. I need to do that again.

I canít make any summer plans until I know what my mobile state will be. Fingers crossed, I get this knee repaired so I can enjoy traveling and camping again. I love to camp at the beach with my dogs! I havenít gone on a true vacation in three years. Itís time!

Enjoy all the planning before and all the adventures during your trip. It sounds lovely!

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 01-12-2020, 12:44 PM

We spend most of our summers at our cottage, with friends and family visiting for weekends and longer. It's always relaxing and fun. We usually go on a road trip to a US city to watch a baseball game or two, and visit museums. Oh, and I get my US shopping fix. This year we will be visiting Chicago.

Train travel in Europe is fast and efficient. Depending on where you are, you may be able to squeeze in a 1-2 day trip to France or Austria or another bordering country.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-12-2020, 01:58 PM

We (so far) are flying into Munich and driving to Garmisch. There is a trip planned to drive some mountain that looks to be on the way to Italy, where we will spend a couple of days. Nothing is in stone as of yet, but a plan will be coming together soon. I would like to go to many other places, but this is the first trip...

word girl

Old 01-12-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I have had very little luck in getting dh to travel internationally outside US properties. He came up with the idea of going to Germany this summer and we bought tickets last night!
Sounds a bit like my DH. He traveled a lot in his 20s and now is more of a homebody. However, he has a fascination with Portugal, so I've been able to get him to go there twice now. I'm like you, I don't mind as long as we get to travel.

I second the idea of reading Rick Steves' travel forum. I've gotten a lot of great information from the forums.

Quote:
We usually go on a road trip to a US city to watch a baseball game or two, and visit museums.
We have taken a road trip to Canada the last two years. Two years ago we went to Nova Scotia and last summer we went to Quebec City.

This summer we're either a) visiting Portugal for the 3rd time ; or b) taking a road trip to Ontario; or c) going to Copenhagen (my vote).
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-12-2020, 02:41 PM

We currently have lots of ideas, but nothing in stone yet. It will be a tad lower key than last year when we spent a month in Europe. We will do our annual family week in the Virginia mountains for sure!

Did not make it to Germany and the only thing I know about Germany is my dad was stationed there many years ago and my DS went last summer. He sent a picture of him at a busstop with a beer in his hand!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Sounds wonderful!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Germany sounds great- Iím sure youíll enjoy it!

Last summer we went to Ireland and then straight to SC for my new job. I want to consider this time in the south as our vacation and make sure we explore as much as possible. In April we will meet good friends in FL. But when school is out, I want to hunker down in our NJ home and get caught up with family and friends. Canít wait to spend 10 weeks in our ďvacation cottage.Ē
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Summer trip
Old 01-12-2020, 04:14 PM

DH just paid the balance for our Alaskan cruise/land tour that weíll be taking beginning Memorial Day. We will be celebrating our 45th anniversary during the trip.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-12-2020, 04:15 PM

Germany! Hooray! Have fun planning. Iíve only been to Germany onceóit was beautiful.

These days Iím only an armchair traveler. Fortunately, I love where I live and am finding plenty of possibilities for fun. I hope my summer plans are more of the same: enjoying home and having friends & family come visit
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 01-12-2020, 04:16 PM

We don't usually vacation during the summer as my folks have a house at the beach in Maine and it is under a 3 hour drive. We visit multiple times a summer.

However, I have traveled on my Feb. and several April breaks for the last 6 years or so. My folks winter in Tucson so I go there in Feb. Several April breaks I have gone to Bermuda and next April will be my dirst teip to London. We were working on the itinerary this weekend
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Summer vacation
Old 01-13-2020, 03:45 AM

Weíre planning to go to Myrtle beach. DH wasnít going to book it because he was so hopeful weíll have a baby by then but I told him to do it and just make sure we could cancel. I figure I also hope we have a baby by then and just stay home but If June comes and we donít have a baby or a place to go on vacation Iím going to be super annoyed

Weíre also planning local trips with my parents and my in laws. Those well do regardless of baby or no baby.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 01-13-2020, 04:53 AM

Germany will be so wonderful! My husband lived there for many years. It is a beautiful country!

I just got tickets to Australia to see my best friend. I havent been there for seven years and am quite anxious to get back. We are going to the great barrier reef, snorkeling, swimming with turtles, etc, all that good stuff.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 AM

Oh my. Have I ever told you how my dh is? This morning at 741, neither one of us are ready for work-haven't even started and he is looking to see if our helmets and motorcycle jackets fit in a suitcase.

cvt

Germany
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 PM

How fun!

Quote:
We (so far) are flying into Munich and driving to Garmisch.
Since you are starting in Munich, you should also go to Salzburg (Austria). It's pretty close (1.5 hours by car). It's a beautiful town with lots of history and culture. Mozart was born there.

Will you be doing Germany by motorcycle only? Keep in mind that there are some traffic rules that differ from the ones in the US. No white lining/lane splitting for one. Also, only passing on the left. Traffic coming from the right has the right-of-way unless otherwise stated on signs. There are more rules, and I'm sure you will be studying them before your trip.

Whatever you do, don't tell my DH about your plans, or he'll want us to join you!

There is legal medical marijuana in Germany, but it's hard to get as they have a huge shortage. Same in Austria. Plus it gets complicated because I believe you'd need a German doctor's prescription.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote