For those with districts going with distance learning. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

For those with districts going with distance learning.

>

sterlingsun

For those with districts going with distance learning.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you teaching from your classrooms or from home? My district announced about a week and a half ago that we will be doing distance learning for at least the first marking period (I'm extremely relieved). Teachers start on September 1st. Not sure if I will be expected to physically report to school and work on lessons/record lessons or if I will be able to stay home and record from there. If your school is doing distance learning do you still need to report physically to school or can you stay at home?

Last edited by sterlingsun; 08-01-2020 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Typos
sterlingsun is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our union got the district to agree that if we want to work from home during remote, we can. I filled out the form, but not sure how I will work it yet. I guess it depends on the rest of the staff, community numbers, and how I feel each day. It might depend on whether my dh goes in or stays home. It is hard for us both to be online at the same time...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No decision has been made, but itís getting really ugly between the union and district so Iím guessing theyíre going to require us to work from school. Weíre doing the hybrid model.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít think a decision has been made just yet, but I want to work from my classroom. Home was too distracting and I need my teacher things.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our principal told us we are required to work from home however I don't think the union has finished negotiating everything yet.

I would like teachers to have choice. I would prefer to do all of my recordings (and live lessons if I'm required to do them) at school. My house is too full and busy (and sound travels ridiculously) to have a quiet, dedicated space.

sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some districts are requiring staff to be at school.

I think it stems from the few who shared their adventures during the school day while distance learning was supposed to be happening.

Others are allowing staff to work from home, but must include admin in all invites. This way admin can pop in if they want.

A few ruin the professional respect teachers deserve!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teaching from home encouraged, but if you need space or internet access, you can have a classroom. I’ll be sharing a space with another teacher. He’ll get it during live sessions and I can use it if I want to record videos in a classroom space.

Quote:
A few ruin the professional respect teachers deserve!
I don’t think there is anything wrong with teachers finding space in the margins of their day for relaxation. We were working twice as hard and twice as long, if I want to go for a run before my zoom call and do grading at 10pm or if I want to do my remote work from my mountain cabin, who cares? What “adventures” were anyone going on in spring that were incompatible with the work being done?
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are doing hybrid, but on my three days of remote learning, Iíll be in the building.

As of right now, Iíll have remote Monday-Wednesday and kids Thursday & Friday. There is a chance Iíll have to two groups, one in person Monday & Tuesday and remote Wednesday-Friday, and the other group opposite. That would be hard. Iíll also have some kids doing all remote with an entirely different program.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are strongly encouraged to work from school, but at this point it's not a mandate.

I'm really surprised any districts are requiring teachers to work from home. Are they supplying the internet needed for it? What if you don't have a space away from others where you can work? Giving a choice would be nice, but mandating work from home seems wrong.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We are teaching from our classrooms via Zoom or Google Meet. I believe that teachers who have underlying health issues and provide documentation from their doctors are able to teach from home.

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district is releasing plans this week. Iíd rather work from school. I have to bring so many things home. I got into a heated conversation with a colleague over this last week. Our district has already explained to us that the expectations are increased since the spring. We will be doing live streaming and if we go all remote it will be four hours a day following our schedule. She feels itís too much to teach like that for four hours and what will she do with her three year old. Her mom comes to her house to watch him and she will still have to. I think we should have the choice to decide what works for us.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-02-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district hasn't said yet.
Quote:
I think we should have the choice to decide what works for us.
I agree with this! If I had the freedom, I would probably prefer to go in most days, but it would be nice to have the flexibility to stay home on days where I didn't need anything from school.
Quote:
What ďadventuresĒ were anyone going on in spring that were incompatible with the work being done?
I don't know what they were doing, but apparently in my district there were families who didn't hear ANYthing from their child's teacher once schools closed (the district gave out packets, but teachers were still expected to engage virtually with students, help with support, etc).
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

At home or School
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Right now, we are planning for in person learning, but I know in the spring, there was differences of opinion regarding this.

One principal wanted all teachers to report to school and teach. He felt that many of his teachers would not take it seriously/not put in the effort from home. He also felt that some teachers would be clueless about the technology and others wouldn't be but use that as an excuse to not do their best work. He felt going into school, with tech support, would fix those problems.

The other principals were concerned about teachers with kids and how that would work, with schools closed and most day cares closed for everyone but essential workers. However, they did understand that some teachers may want to come in for material, may have things they needed or could use for lessons at school, might be a better environment for filming, etc.

The higher ups wanted NO ONE at school for fear someone would get COVID.

In the end, they decided that you could come in if you wanted, but didn't have to. You could teach from home if you wanted to.

If/when we go back to distance learning (I'm anticipating it being more of a when than an if), we have not heard what it will look like. My principal asked me to help her draft plans this week. I personally think the option is best, but obviously there are a lot of perspectives and thoughts to look at.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I don’t think there is anything wrong with teachers finding space in the margins of their day for relaxation. We were working twice as hard and twice as long, if I want to go for a run before my zoom call and do grading at 10pm or if I want to do my remote work from my mountain cabin, who cares?
I agree with your comment, but there have been stories of teachers not communicating their students at all or rarely. There were also posts on social media of teachers hanging out at beaches, going kayaking, going on long hikes during "the school day". This gives the impression that teachers were not doing their job. It stems from many factors including districts not giving enough guidance for teachers. Some worked their butts off, others did little to nothing. It also stems from parents not understanding the virtual models that districts set up. Lots of heat on districts to make sure teachers are earning their check.

Quote:
.I don't know what they were doing, but apparently in my district there were families who didn't hear ANYthing from their child's teacher once schools closed (the district gave out packets, but teachers were still expected to engage virtually with students, help with support, etc).
Exactly!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 08-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We have to report to school everyday. Our contract hours have been adjusted to reflect the time online. I wish we could work from school 3 days and home 2 days.

My son teaches in a different district and they are teaching from home. The District doesn't want them at school.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

sterlingsun

Responses
Old 08-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks all for the responses! I'm hoping I will hear from leadership this week or next what we're going to do. Currently most 12 month employees have gone back to working from home exclusively. 10 month employees are TBD. I will be co-teaching almost exclusively this year, so that's another layer to add on.
sterlingsun is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-02-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
agree with your comment, but there have been stories of teachers not communicating their students at all or rarely. There were also posts on social media of teachers hanging out at beaches, going kayaking, going on long hikes during "the school day". This gives the impression that teachers were not doing their job. It stems from many factors including districts not giving enough guidance for teachers. Some worked their butts off, others did little to nothing. It also stems from parents not understanding the virtual models that districts set up. Lots of heat on districts to make sure teachers are earning their check.
The answer is not to endanger and complicate the lives of the professionals who are doing their job. It is to find ways, as the administrator whose job it is to manage staff, to hold those teachers accountable.

Administrative incompetence such as this is infuriating even when I donít have to deal with it. If they had done their job appropriately, slacker teachers should never have been able to get away with not contacting families in the first place if contacting them was the expectation.

I canít imagine anyone at my school dropping the ball like that last spring, but if we had, our principal would have known about it pretty quickly.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In my district, every teacher and assistant was supposed to log their hours in on a Google Document called a reflection journal. These journals were to be submitted every day that not only said what hours we worked, but what we did and for how long, as well as go into a deeper explanation about the process to prove that we did the work.

Assistants were required initially to work 5 hours a day on professional development, then a few weeks later, two and a half hours a day with professional development mixed with helping teachers work with students online and look over work posted on see saw.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We are starting 100% distance learning. We have the option of teaching from home or from our classroom. Personally, I want to teach from my classroom as I want access to my stuff and I need some routine and structure. That being said, my children are grown, so I don't have that issue to deal with! Also, my school is 5 minutes from my house.

We must teach live for a certain amount of each day. The biggest complaint we had from virtual teaching in the spring was the lack of teacher contact. We also must record any live sessions.

We just had a meeting this morning where our principal stressed that we are NOT virtual teaching at this point. We are distance learning and it has to be live. What we did in the spring was emergency band aid teaching.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote