Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Phonics vs whole language

>

nickhca

Phonics vs whole language
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has always had a very strong phonics program. We are in a transition year moving towards whole language. I personally feel we need a more balanced literacy program in order to meet all of our students needs. I am curious of others thoughts and experiences with both phonics and whole language and how it is used in your school.

Thanks!

nickhca is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

phonics vs whole lang.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Gosh, hadn't heard the term "whole language" for many years
I think that you're right -that a balance is best. Maybe your district had poor results with the focus solely on phonics and now need to swing the pendulum far to a more literature base??

We have been pretty successful with the balanced literacy philosophy based on the work of Fountas & Pinnell.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

delidkteach

Balanced Literacy
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The schools that I have worked in have more of a balanced literacy approach and I feel that it works the best. I think that children are so different in their approaches to learning that a balanced approach will best benefit the majority of children. Some students respond better to the whole language approach which is also known as the top down approach to learning and other respond better to the phonics approach or the bottom up approach. Lessons in my schools take both approaches and it tends to work very well. Students have direct vocabulary and phonics instruction in conjunction with one another in addition to grammar instruction. They also spend a significant amount of time with comprehension and analyzing texts with higher level thinking approaches. There are very few students who are behind when using this approach and those that are are making significant gains to be where they should be after engaging in extra and more specialized instruction.
delidkteach is offline   Reply With Quote