Help

Classroom Management

Seating Tricks--Multiple Attention Issues

>

rosieteaches

Seating Tricks--Multiple Attention Issues
Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Twenty-five students is a nice sized class and my attention issues are less demanding than years past but...

I have so many attention problems and the combination of those who seek attention and those with can't pay attention makes seating tricky.

I'd love to hear other teachers' tricks for managing attentiveness problems. I need some new ideas for managing the high number of concerns I have this year.

Thank you.

rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsg605

Seating Tips
Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put the students who raise my blood pressure the farthest from me. I used to put them right next to my desk. That only resulted in unhappiness on both sides.

Make sure you follow the IEP requirements (hearing/visually impaired, etc).

I also let the students choose their own seats so I can see who they should not sit by. I also not friendships so I can allow them to work in fun groups with someone they like from time to time.

I also rarely sit down. I am always all over the room so my students know I see what's going on and they know I can monitor any off task behavior.

I hope these tips help!
mrsg605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Good tips mrsg605
Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Walking around helps. I also like to stand at the back of the room. I can see all of them. Usually, when someone wants to check where the teacher is, they turn around to see you. Then say, ďthatís right, Iím watching you so donít even think about itĒ.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

agree with the comment above
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Walking around is very effective as well as the tap on the shoulder when someone is unfocused. I also have seen where separating students throughout the year that may have gotten close and are causing disruptions work very well. My daughter has a friend that when together they cause many distractions so the teacher continues to separate them further each time it gets out of hand. It has seemed to work, because now they are at a point where they don't want to be separated any further so they just do their work.
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote