Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Hunger Games

>

here4kids

Hunger Games
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am considering reading the Hunger Games with my 6th grade class, but, I have some reservations. Biggest reasons I am considering are : Kids are DONE with the basal series stories...I want to read a novel together that has a movie to go with it and maybe biggest of all is that a teacher who does book clubs outside of school has 30 copies and the book on cd....all other class sets within my building and district are being used. So just curious what you think..would you read it with your sixth graders??

here4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 05-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am also a 6th grade teacher who has a class set of this book. Before I use this book, I send home notes to make sure that parents are ok with the book. Hunger Games is a book that parents have strong feelings about much like Harry Potter. If your parents are not on board choose something else.

Also the movie comes off as way more violent than the book. I am not sure why? I remember feeling horrified as I watched the movie. I do not recommend this be shown at school.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

In my district
Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hunger Games is considered to be an 8th grade novel. Not sure I would use this with 6th graders. Some suggestions I have are Holes or Tuck Everlasting if you also want a movie. Otherwise, Hatchet, The Giver (there is a movie on Netflix), Maniac Magee, Summer of the Swans, Number the Stars, or Julie of the Wolves are all good novels for 6th grade. Good luck!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students enjoyed Hatchet, Tuck Everlasting, and Alabama Moon.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

watt key
Old 10-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I recently read several chapters of "fourmile" to 4th graders, (I was subbing) and thought it was too much for them. I bought a copy, and finished it, and really thought it was too much for 4th, but seems about right for 6th. same author as Alabama Moon, which I also bought, but haven't read yet. if you have boys growing up without dads, this may also be a trigger one way or another, I could see it as both healing and troubling for certain kiddos, but still good.

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote