Help

BusyBoard

Makerspace

>

Becca4

Makerspace
Old 01-25-2019, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is new to me...so please share any info that you can on Makerspace activities! Thanks!

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

back2learn

Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our Makerspace room has all kinds of building materials--k'nex, legos, blocks, pipe cleaners ,art supplies. We also have some tech things such as Cubelets, Osmos Ipad skill games. We have lesson plan books for teachers. The students love it.
back2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

back2learn
Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! So when do your kids does this? Is this during recess or is it incorporated into class?

whatever

Our MS/HS Library
Old 01-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

has a Makerspace in one corner...

She has much of the stuff listed above as well as robotics, electronic circuit kits, puzzles, Rubik's cubes and other mental challenges, fabric/ribbons/sewing items, scrapbooking material, board games, chalk, sidewalk chalk, magnetic kits, and probably more that I haven't seen.

We have visited a few times but it is fairly far from my room so it is not convenient for us. I do think she allows some things to be checked out by teachers. As the MS/HS is on a block system, it would be up to the teachers or students to schedule a time with her.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a link to a Google doc I created when we brainstormed about creating a makerspace in our school. Some of it is particular to our school/district, but you might find something useful.

Makerspace Brainstorming

We had planned on starting a makerspace at our school this year. Then our district decided to start a full-time preschool program at the end of summer and added four classes in January taking up every available classroom space and storage space in our building. The preschool program is the district focus and priority right now. We are thinking about storing materials on carts for teachers to bring into their classrooms, but we have to figure out where to store those carts when not in use. Our classrooms are tiny so there is no room to keep them in our classrooms. We can barely move around as it is.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Is it just for????
Old 01-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks everyone! I hadn't heard the term "makerspace" yet, and wondering if it is because I just teach reading and social studies.

Question so I can make sure I'm understanding....this is just using "stuff" to create, right? Each year, we read The Borrowers in my reading class. At the end of the book, students get to create a "room" using lots of little stuff I bring in (that I've collected). They choose a room to create, and then they pick out the stuff they want to use to create it. Is that considered the same as "makerspace"? I think I'm just getting hung up on the term bc I'm just hearing this buzzword.

Thanks again!!!!

Lottalove

Sorta, but
Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's like a project space you can leave out all the time and then add to it so there is more than one type of activity you/they can use.

That is not to say that they get to access it willynilly. You establish rules and expectations and all that. If they disrespect the materials, they lose their privileges.

It is super great for project-based learning. And project based learning is especially good for social studies or reading. Say instead of a book report, they make a diorama of their favorite scene or setting. Or, a movie poster or whatever. Same with social studies. They can make a hand puppet of their favorite historical character and write a skit... The possibilities are endless.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Becca4

LottaLove
Old 01-27-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks! You have inspired me!!!