Help

BusyBoard

Question for Middle School Teachers

>

Teacherbee_4

Question for Middle School Teachers
Old 01-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a new job for next year. I'm in my 8th year teaching and I have taught 4th-5th. I'm certified K-8, and I like teaching the older grades better than younger ones. I like the independence and I love the content and diving deeply into, it. I really like 5th because the of the age, as well as the fact that I can teach all subjects. I really do like the variety in my day and I actually do like all subjects. The learning and content part is actually one of my favorite parts of being a teacher because love learning and helping kids learn new things too. I love knowledge and information! I know, I'm a geek!

Anyway, there have been a few jobs in middle schools I've seen. I'm certified for middle school. I don't mind the age group, at least from my experience. My question for middle school teachers is do you ever get bored teaching the same lesson multiple times a day? I know there are benefits in that you can adjust the plan and make it better as you move through the day, but I just wonder if I would be bored teaching the same thing all day, especially considering my love for every subject. One of the jobs I'm looking at applying to is a 7th-8th grade math position, which I'm sure would lead to at least 2 different classes (7th grade math and 8th grade math), if not more (advanced/honors/remedial/etc.) so I wouldn't be teaching the same lesson like 8 times a day! Same subject, but different standards for different grade levels. I'm also thinking I could probably be fine if I taught 2 different subjects over just 1, that that would be bring some variety in my day, too.

I'm just curious, if you teach middle school, do you get bored teaching the same thing all day, over and over?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

usually OK
Old 01-26-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a sub, so I do all levels, and like you, I love the variety!

I'm not a huge fan of middle as far as the age itself goes, but I do enjoy the content. It can get a little boring teaching the same lesson over and over...but it can also be nice to get a fresh group every hour, especially if you have some troublemakers.

I think you'd be OK with the 7th-8th math position, since it would be at least two different lessons (and likely more, as you said.) Same goes if you can snag a two-subject post.

I also often find in middle school that I get a random extra subject block. - One year, for instance, we didn't have a social studies teacher, so each teacher taught their regular subject to each class, plus social studies to their homeroom. Another school I sub at has an academic support block, where you could be doing anything from working on standardized test prep with them to helping individual students with homework/make-up work.

If you're lucky, you'll also get on a team that tries to integrate the subjects when possible - there's a lot of cross-over of skills to take advantage of if you like to plan together.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-26-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most middle school teachers donít teach the same subject, they have anywhere from 2-4 preps a day. My BFF moved from 5th (which she loved) to middle school and she never looked back. She had 3 preps, which means she taught 3 subjects. It was way less work than the 5 subjects she taught in elementary but interesting enough that she didnít get bored. She had 6th graders and loved the age. Other middle school teachers complained about having multiple preps, but coming from elementary having only 3 instead of 5 preps was a dream.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

You know,
Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been fortunate the last few years that I've only had 8th ELA, and I don't usually find myself bored. I've found that even though the objectives may be the same, the deliver often has to vary in order to make it meaningful to each different class. One class may be better at notes/study on their own, while another has to have the same lesson presented in an entirely hands-on project format. A LOT of teaching "in the Middle" is about your perception of it--if you perceive teaching the "same thing" to be boring, you can bet it's going to be boring. I find that the kids keep nearly everything from being "same old, same old."

I actually didn't like it when I was teaching 4 preps; I felt like I was chasing my own tail some days with all of the additional paperwork and things.

Good luck in your job search!
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Athena17

Old 01-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have 8th grade ELA with 4 periods of regular English, one period of PreAP English, and one period of Literacy where I have one group of the same students a week at a time. It's broken up enough that it's not the same thing over and over. Plus each class has it's own dynamic and needs. Hope you find a good fit! Good luck to you!

Athena17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíve taught 26 years, most in middle school. Some years Iíve had four preps. Some years two. Iíve never just had one.

My certification is English 7-12. Iíve taught English, reading, health, writing, journalism, and drama in grades 6 through 12. One year I had five preps between two schools. That was a killer.

My primary subject is 8th ELA. I have four classes. They all do the same lessons, but they arenít always exactly the same. I joke that by the end of the fourth class the lesson is going like I wanted it to because Iíve had time to work out all the bugs.

My other class is reading RtI.

Iím not certified for 6th grade, but I have taught a class here and there. They are too young for me. My favorite is 8th grade, but Iíve taught 7th most. I loved teaching 12th grade as well, but I didnít like the school nearly as much. The middle school has more of a community feel.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks, everyone!
Old 01-27-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the input/advice/experiences!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote