Help

BusyBoard

Can you teach Science and History?

>

SwollenAnkles

Can you teach Science and History?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been posting a lot, sorry. This is not really a vent. I donít like it, but it is really a curriculum question. I teach 4th grade and our principal really discourages is from teaching science, history, cursive, and health. She only wants us to focus on math and ELA. She canít tell us not to teach it because it is on our report card standards, but man she really makes it clear she does not want us spending time on it. Also we are a school of the Arts. I want to teach those things and I try to cram them in, but I donít do a very good job. My team spends much more time on it, but they have been there 26 years and this is only my 3rd. I want to do what my principal wants, but I feel loyalty to my team. I am stressed about this. Other grade levels donít teach it and give passing grades on report cards. I feel that is super dishonest. What would you do?
If you are elementary school teachers do you get to teach at least science and history without having to hide it?

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

d_ee

Old 01-27-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow. Never heard of trying to squelch subjects. Since STEM is becoming very important (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), maybe you could incorporate science in with your math lessons. No real good idea of how...but maybe History could be infused with the Arts? That is a tough one.
d_ee is online now   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Yes
Old 01-27-2019, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach science and social studies along with reading, language arts, and math. We have required minutes for each subject. I think it is very dishonest to give a grade without teaching it. As a parent I would feel lied to if you give a grade but donít teach it. I donít know if your principal is getting pressure from above, but students need a well rounded education.

I do think you could accomplish reading skills while doing social studies and science. Maybe that is what your coworkers are doing.
Eccj is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-27-2019, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught elementary it was difficult to squeeze SS & science in until I integrated it. There is a whole strand of reading comprehension that's informational text. I would teach reading skills while reading a standard appropriate SS passage.

I did teach only 5th grade SS & science one year and the principal specifically said I needed to teach it through reading. Lots of breaking down passages and pulling out important information. We had phenomenal pass rates on state tests that year!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Squeezed-Out Subjects
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Same thing around here - I hate that Science and History (Geography, too!) are getting squeezed out in favor of "testing subjects". Most of the elementary classes I sub in have long ELA and Math blocks every day, and then alternate (by either days or weeks) cramming Science and Social Studies into one shorter block. (And even that often gets preempted for assemblies and such.)

Cursive here gets shoe-horned into "gaps" in 3rd grade - like those awkward bits when you have 15 minutes between specials and lunch. And then it's never reinforced, so the kids forget what little they learned!

Health, at least, is still covered on a decent schedule by the gym teachers...but not until middle and high school. (Apparently, putting up posters in the cafeteria counts for the little ones - as if even those who can read them, just magically will.)

I agree with teachnkids about trying to integrate Science and Social Studies when you can. I do little things like I have a student find the setting of our story on a map. And student-input bulletin boards and "look it up" breaks help to encourage curiosity in science. But really, I think the system needs to change!

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My co-workers are not incorporating into ELA or math. We are required to teach Journeys Basal readers and curriculum with fidelity. Also we have to teach Engage New York math with fidelity. My team has been skipping a Journeys story once a month to teach history or health. My principal comes to me to find out what they are doing. I hate it! She asked last week, “Are you teaching a story this week?” I was so I said yes. Then she says, “Well I saw a lot of health and history being taught when I popped into other 4th grade classes today. You guys need to pay attention to pacing.” I feel like she tricks me into telling on my team. I am really hating my job right now. So stressed out, feeling like there are hidden agendas every where. So sad. I am skipping a story this week because I have got to teach some history. I am incorporating writing into it. My team does that too. We shouldn’t have to hide teaching what we are required to teach. Our art is taught by a separate art teacher and then it is band and orchestra, so no science in there. I want to go to a different school, but my team is awesome! My best friends!

Last edited by SwollenAnkles; 01-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Adding more

Teacherbee_4

Not a priority
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We aren't forbidden to teach it, but in every place I taught, it was not a priority in the elementary school. The priority was on Reading/Language arts and math. In my all years, I've never gotten in the required minutes of science and social studies. All of my principals understood. Our current curriculum director even went as far to tell us that if we don't finish our science/social studies curriculum, it's fine, but to be sure to finish math and Reading/Language Arts. All of the schools I've been at have been a huge fan of integrating the science and social studies standards into reading and writing. I get it and it's definitely doable. However, it's not my preferred way to teach science and social studies!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 01-27-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In 5th grade in TX we have a reading, math, AND science STAAR test. Yes we teach it and yes it stinks if others below us haven't. It's a cumulative elementary test so K-5 TEKS. We also teach social studies even though its not tested. It is in middle and high school.

Not teaching subjects and parts of the curriculum is doing kids a huge disservice. It hurts them now and later on down the line. It only takes 30 min a day to teach a social studies lesson with the text. We have 30 min for social studies and 90 min blocks for math, ela, and science.

What is your principal's reasoning? I think it's very irresponsible.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Subjects
Old 01-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Science and art go well together, as do history and language arts. I would teach unit studies that incorporate multiple subjects if I were in your situation.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our social studies is totally embedded in our reading curriculum-so we get 2 for one there. Science is also supposed to be embedded, but it really isnt the science is a joke. I try to squeeze in some science of my own making but its tough and we dont get to it a whole lot sadly. I aim for hands on science or more rigorous science based reading/lecture 6 times a month for 30 minutes (3 times a week for 2 weeks out of the month). Art I do for 30 min about 4 times a month (2 times a week for two weeks out of the month. Not a lot, but its better than nothing, and once you're in a testing grade there is so much material to cover its hard to squeeze in. We are getting ready to buy an actual science curriculum next year so I hope I do better on science after that.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Other Subjects
Old 01-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I totally get where you are coming from, because we have mandated ELA and math blocks that make it next to impossible to do a separate science and social studies.

My suggestions is to incorporate them into your ELA block. If you do guided reading or paired passages, pick oneís that focus on a science or SS topic and incorporate activities like science experiments or civics projects throughout.

We have a reading series and there is always a nonfiction and fiction text o the same topic. Usually the secondary text is science or SS related, and that made it easier to fudge in the labs or projects.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are required to teach 90 mins of ELA, 30 of writing, 90 of math. Then we have Monday-Thursday reading and math skills groups, each a half hour. Band, orchestra or choir 4 days a week for 30 mins plus art for 45 mins a week. Then PE, library, and computers. I have Friday afternoon from 2:45-3:45 to teach history, science, health, cursive or art. Since we are an art school we have to have our bulletin boards decorated, but that board is not the art teAchers responsibility it is ours. Her reasoning is that history, health and cursive are not on our Isat state test. But there is a 5th grade science test. I donít think she cares. I am very upset with this principal.

KT_203

Old 01-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I taught in a school like that. We were given our schedules and it did not include any time for science or social studies. We were told to do it all through ELA. For some things okay thatís fine but there was no time for map skills or doing science experiments etc.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have only taught in very low SES schools- I have a feeling it might be different in higher SES schools where there is not so much time being spent trying to catch everyone up. In my first school, Science and SS were heavily embedded into the ELA curriculum.

At my 2nd school, I was a gen ed teacher and we were given an instructional schedule by admin that we had to follow. 30 minutes per day was dedicated to Science OR SS. One quarter was Science, the next was SS, etc. It was actually my least favorite part of the day because we were given absolutely no resources or guidance, and as a sped teacher I hadn't taught those subjects before.

At my current school, it's embedded into ELA with non-fiction texts. Of course this leaves out the hands on Science stuff that most students really enjoy. Some teachers do teach it for 20-30 minutes at the end of the school day. Each class also has STEAM for an hour per week.

Cursive isn't a standard here. Some teachers do cover it with small groups as an enrichment. At one point, we had brought it up as an idea for kids with handwriting struggles, and the OT said it wasn't worth it because it's not reinforced enough.

Health is taught as part of PE class. I know our PE teacher does also work to incorporate the academic standards, and that often includes SS. She'll make her games about different academic themes.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote