Help

BusyBoard

Letter for a Principal position

>

k28

Letter for a Principal position
Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A co-worker is applying for a Principalship. She has asked me to write her a letter of recommendation. No problem-she would be great.

The problem is I teach Kindergarten and it is the end of the day. Throw me a bone and let me know what jargon or multisyllable words I should use.
"I like her.
She is nise.
She likes kids." This is about all I read anymore...I need to sound professional again for this.

Thank you!

k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would choose 3 strengths that would make her a great principal and focus on those. For example, strong curricular knowledge (committees she’s sat on, etc), strong leadsership skills (has she been a team leader, run any committees, etc), etc. Is she good with data AND with people? A good communicator?

Whatever you choose to focus on, give specific examples of things she has done in the building. I hope this helps.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

"Brevity is the soul of wit."
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Keep it brief--one page, 3-4 paragraphs maximum. Don't oversell. Glowing letters tend to lose credibility. It might help to think in terms of transferable skills. If she's an organized teacher, will that make her a good principal? Can her enthusiasm for teaching and learning be better served as a principal?

First paragraph: how long you've known here and qualify yourself "I've worked with... for X years..."

Several short paragraphs, each outlining a skill or reason why you recommend her...

Close with something like "If there is anything I can do to further name's career, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached..."

I know this is not exactly what you asked for but I think form is more important than vocabulary. Most letters of recommendation (in my experience) aren't thoroughly analyzed. The hiring organization knows people aren't going to get them from people who won't write something "nice." The key is doing that in a way that stands out.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you...got it done and now fingers crossed!
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote