Help

BusyBoard

Tourette's--medication?

>

tia

Tourette's--medication?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

if you've had experience with a kid with Tourette's: is there medication available to damper the tics? have you found any techniques that are helpful for limiting them?

thanks!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of my old mentee’s has severe Tourette’s. She is on a long lasting medication to dampen here’s - I can’t remember which one. It’s a pitch of anpsych medicine. She also has done some seriously tedious therapy to help her reduce he severity of her tics. She is in college and wants to be a special education teacher for students with behavioral and psychiatric disorders - and has done political work concerning funding for research into Tourette’s since she was in middle school. She even went and talked to 40 congressmen a few years back to ask them to pass legislation on those topics.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had a couple of students with Tourette’s. One did not use medication, but he did start therapy. Another had a patch that was changed every week, Not sure of the medication, though.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tourette’s
Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had one student with this. The only meds he was on were for sleeping because he twitched his neck so much he couldn’t settle down to sleep.

I didn’t know there were meds for Tourette’s.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not up on current treatments, but I did research years ago for a SpEd course I was taking. Friends of ours had children with Tourette's. Some of the medications used at that time could cause serious and irreversible side effects, so deciding whether to use them would be a tough decision.

It sometimes is possible for a child to inhibit tics. However, the drawback is that it may take so much concentration not to tic that there is little brainpower left for learning (or doing much of anything else). And eventually the tics can no longer be suppressed and come out full force. So the child might be able to be quiet during a test--and the hour after may be ticking seriously.

Here are some resources. https://tourette.org/resources/overv...room-ts-child/

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My son has tourretts, which he is thankfully outgrowing.

What the PP said about side effects is no joke and many only lessen symptoms or have no effect. Some have had deep brain stimulation implants to deal with self injurious or otherwise dangerous tics since the meds dont work well enough or at all for them.

Also one of the most common side effects of such most meds for tourretts is "cognitive dulling" which basically means it makes it so that its hard to think and very hard to learn which is not a very good way to send most kids off to school. Other side effects can be far more serious such as causing agitation, mood swings and violent behavior. a Friend of mine whose child also had tourretts went crazy when they tried him on a medication-they literally had to call the police and hospitalize him until the meds were out of his system and after that they never wanted to risk trying another medication.

Any tips would depend on the tics that the student displays. In touretts the tics are often evolving and changing in addition to having waxing and waning phases. If you list the tics I can see if I know of any tips to dealing with them.

One general tip though-dont put a kid on the spot about his tics or yell at him to stop because the neurotransmitters involved with stress create cause more tics. So it would only make it worse. Talking about them also seems to bring them out. One thing though is that sometimes its the other kids who yell at the student to stop or make fun of the tics but one way to help with that is talking to the class about tourettes (the tourettes association will send out a materials and sometimes a presenter for free) you could show a video like "I have Tourettes But Tourettes Doesnt Have Me" (here's the trailer for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_dBRDvkbTU)

Many can be ignored-just like we try to ignore many other behaviors in the classroom in order to not reinforce them. Only with tics they really arent purposeful so they wont go away just because you dont reinforce them or provide rewards.

One accommodation that can be helpful is allowing breaks from the classroom so that a student can have time let out tics in privacy if they do try to suppress them. Also those who try to suppress during the day often struggle with homework because the tic like crazy all evening so excusing homework can be helpful as well.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

thank you for all the information! i appreciate it!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote