Help

BusyBoard

classroom restart

>

dav5fam

classroom restart
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A colleague of mine is having a most difficult time with her students. They are not acting respectful and have no bond with her. They need to go back as if it is Day 1 and set up parameters on how the classroom should work. What suggestions do you have?

Many students are telling their parents that she is yelling, cussing, and other things that are not true. They stated that they are trying to get her fired. They are being held accountable for academics and behavior and donít like it. 5th grade.

dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

restart
Old 02-04-2019, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A restart sounds like one plan. Who are they telling they want her fired??
Does she have admin support? The principal needs to get in there and lay it on the line to the students. And hopefully parents are aware of her high standards for academics and behavior /rules of the classroom.
If she's a newbie, I hope she has a mentor or other colleague support too.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

A question and suggestion...
Old 02-04-2019, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We're pretty far into the year for a "restart!" I feel like something is missing, here... one question is did this just start or has it been a problem all year?

It won't be a quick fix, but if the "group dynamics" aren't working, I'd suggest building some relationships with students--one at a time--starting with the ones who are least troublesome.

By fifth grade, kids have usually figured out how to get rid of a teacher they don't like and the mob mentality is a reality. I've seen it happen. In one case the teacher contributed to the problem in several ways. She didn't acknowledge that the "culture" had changed in the school as a whole with kids being given a lot more freedom. She still wanted to rule her classes with an iron fist and couldn't adapt. She made a couple strategic errors with the wrong parents and got put under the microscope by admin. It was a true tragedy because she's one of the best teachers I know who genuinely cared about the kids.

I'm not saying that's what happened here.

But I am saying that sometimes the only way to win is to refuse to play the game. This sounds like a textbook power struggle. As someone wisely said, "The best way to get rid of an enemy is to make him your friend." Pushing back on these kids will only elevate the problem. She might do better to sit next to them, get in their heads, and try to figure out how to pull along them instead of pushing them.

One truth I remind myself of often is "The kids aren't against us. They are for themselves."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Update
Old 02-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The kids started off resistant to the teacher, but this teacher has worked to give them the best and sets high expectations! Students usually resist because they want to act a certain way (not all, but enough of them)!

A group of students are going home with stories (not true) and complaints to parents who are believing and coming to talk with the principal.

There is support, but parents have to feel as if they are being heard and supported as well.

Our jumpstart set them on a Journey to June and seemed to start off with success. We worked on our school mission statement, memorized it, defined it, and we will live by it to build community and academic strength. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for responding and giving helpful advice.
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote