Help

BusyBoard

Homework or no homework

>

maui

Homework or no homework
Old 01-31-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do the teachers at your school assign homework? If they do Do- does everybody in the grade level assign the same homework??

maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Homework Vs. Unfinished work
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only work I assign is unfinished work. That's the same with my teaching partner. If students don't finish work in class, it goes home for homework. Between my teaching partner and me, some may be the same, some may be different. It just depends on what each of us does. Both meet the required standards, though.

I know some of the other teachers at my school, especially those in K-2 and one of the 3rd grade teachers, don't even have the students bring unfinished work home. They feel it's still better off done at school vs. sending it home and not know who did it or even possibly confusing parents with some of the math stuff. My friend teaches 3rd and she doesn't send home unfinished work. She does assign 20 minutes on this particular educational website we have a subscription to (all kids have internet access and a device).
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My team mates and I have never assigned the same homework. This year one team mate and I have decided not to assign any homework (other than read and practice math facts which they still donít do). The other one still is. I have to say I donít miss the fight of kids coming in without homework.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My partner assigns homework, and I don't. I send unfinished work. No big deal to me.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do, but only because I feel pressured to do so by the new school I'm at. The kids have a weekly reading log to fill out (only about 1/3 of them do) and I send home one math sheet a week (only about 1/2 bring it back). The math sheet I make sure is practicing a skill that we have already learned and is just review. This is 4th grade.

I have parents asking me to send homework, but somehow those are always the parents whose kids never bring anything back! I wish I could point that fact out to them.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

AS a grade level we all did the same stuff when I started.

Then the following year one of my partners and I said we were going to do only unfinished work for homework while the other teacher kept doing what we did before. I thought that doing the unfinished work would be great but half my class never did it or brought it back. Then a few kids started asking to finish their classwork at home...then not bringing it back. In my room it started to become a means of work avoidance-move slowly in class then say they would finish it at home and never do it. These same kids had previously done their work. My partner did not see in her room what I saw in mine. She loved it.

I went back to doing 1 minute multiplication and division fact drill each night, a 3 question spiral review for math, and read nightly and write a summary at the end of the week. I pull kids from desirable activities to finish unfinished classwork and it actually gets done. One partner is still doing unfinished work, another is doing the traditional math page, reading log, 20 minutes on learning games. We each do what works for us and our classes.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sitamoia

Old 02-01-2019, 12:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My homework has changed this year. I am still going to expect them to read and work on times tables but they will also have a weekly chore and life skill (such as making dinner for the family - with help as my kids are 8-10 with various levels of experience)

They will get homework every two weeks to give them time to do the chores and life skills. It also gives kids who are more practical a chance to shine. whether there is more buy-in remains to be seen but parents expect homework even if they don't make sure it is done.
Sitamoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach K and do not assign HW. Our ELA and math curricula have workbooks that I don't use. I send those home and families can do it or not. I love this. Families who want it, get it with no effort on my part and those who don't can just toss it in recycling.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

meowww58

Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Homework is very important. Think about what college is like... it's just pure homework, isn't it? So, baby steps. Not so much homework it takes too long.

Kids respond to structure and repetition - so I assign homework on Mondays and it's due on Friday. I developed a simple 4 square sheet (as an ELA/ESOL teacher) that has a simple assignment for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It will cover reading, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, writing, and sometimes other topics. Kids can do it all at once or do each box on its day.

Everyone is different, which sometimes makes student life difficult to navigate. But I think some structure and simplicity is helpful
meowww58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Think about what college is like... it's just pure homework, isn't it? So, baby steps.
I think it depends on the age of the students, too, though. My kids are closer to diapers than driving. I'm not preparing them for college; I'm preparing them for 1st grade!

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

Yes
Old 02-05-2019, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes in my district the teachers assign the same amount and pages of homework in the entire grade. They also have homework every night.
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

For the most part, no
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach in an elementary school that has grades K-6. Most teachers send home no homework. Others send home occasional hw or very little. In my district hw is not graded up through grade 6. We can only assess the students based on work completed in school.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

A couple of years ago we were ready to get away from homework entirely based on the research that shows it has no positive effects on learning. My P said that we needed to send a survey home to get parent input first. 85% said they wanted homework .

She said that we couldn't just ignore those numbers. Somehow that morphed into giving TONS of homework. The intermediate teachers feel like they need to give like 90 minutes to prepare kids for middle school, and then the 3rd-4th grade teachers want to prepare kids for that, and then by the time you get down to it, it feels like we're preparing our kindergarten students for middle school .

Grade levels don't all do the same things. I've had several sets of twins/triplets in my sped program and parents are always really upset that their kids don't have the same homework.

The other sped teacher and our reading interventionists all give out additional homework for their groups. I don't really agree with homework for primary students, so I don't send any. My school has very rigorous academic standards and our students work hard all day long for a 7 hour school day. I personally don't think it's appropriate to have 5-8 year olds doing even more work at home on top of that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a different take on homework. I see it as a way for parents to see which skills we're working on. Like meow58, I send home a packet on Monday that's due on Friday, with a reading log, 1 phonics page, one science/ss/reading page, and 1-2 math pages.

I do not grade or correct homework and no one is marked down or punished for not completing homework. If students turn it in, they get a PBIS ticket. (Then, after they go home, I recycle it )

I find that most parents do want homework, even if they don't always follow through with completing it. I also have great conversations with parents about how to do the math, how to help their kids read, write and spell.

I also tell parents that they should not spend more than 10 minutes a night doing homework, and the most important part is the reading together.

I teach first BTW.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

kindiesarefun

Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

As a parent, I felt that homework robbed us of family time. Instead of playing board games or just watching television together after dinner, we endured tears, exhaustion, and frustration as my daughter struggled through mountains of homework.
As a Kindergarten teacher I do not assign homework for that same reason...family time is more important, and the children work hard enough in school all day. They deserve some down time too!
I ask the parents to read to their children and play games with them at night. A parent's undivided attention is more beneficial to a young child than any homework, in my opinion.
kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote