Help

National Board Certification

Teacher Certification

>

musicmeg222

Teacher Certification
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher who will be taking over a special ed position until the end of the school year for a previous teacher who had to leave.

I have both a BS and MA degree, but they are not in teaching. I was recently hired by a school district who informed me that I can enroll in a program where I can take classes and become certified while I'm working. Since I'm new to teaching, I'm not very familiar with this process. Does it differ from state to state and school district to district? I googled the process of completing a teaching certificate (or post degree certificate since I already have a BS and MA), but I'm not finding specific details of what it includes.

If someone has a better understanding of this process, could you please explain it to me or help me better understanding everything? Also, what do the classes entail? How many are there?

Thanks for any help!

musicmeg222 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-11-2019, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This isn't the best board for that, but honestly, I would look at some of the online programs through Grand Canyon University (the one whose name comes to mind) and contact them for the info. Our community college has an "alternative certification" for people who don't have education degrees. Most master's programs that I have paid attention to are still 18 months, including student teaching. I am not sure how the alternative licensing works - other than I believe that the time in the classroom teaching is in place of student teaching. Not an easy gig, though.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

teressawac

Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is called Lateral Entry. My son and my daughter in law both are doing it right now. You have to take the certain classes for your teaching area, pass those, and take the Praxis in your teaching area to become licensed. Look up Lateral Entry in your state.
teressawac is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PPs gave you good advice. National Board Certification is for teachers with 3+ years pursuing a certification establishing they are accomplished teachers. It is not for licensure to teach.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote