Help

Classroom Management

Standing and eating

>

SevernK

Standing and eating
Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach Kindergarten and I have a child that is able to sit for seat work but CANNOT sit during snack and lunch. He literally stands and bounces while getting food and crumbs everywhere. It also bothers the students around him since he invades their space. I must ask him to sit at least every 30 seconds during meal times. Any suggestions? Thank you!

SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Sounds like my 5 year old granddaughter
Old 03-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She's not in kindergarten yet, but it will be tough for her. She can sit and do crafts, watch a show, have tablet time, but when it's time to sit and eat, she has a hard time. I do NOT know why. I have gotten her to sit for a few minutes by telling her to eat a certain (small) amount. Then she gets up and moves. Then we repeat. In restaurants, it's tougher. She will stay in her seat, but wiggles so much the chair moves. Of course, at home and in restaurants, she spills stuff just from moving. It IS better when she eats in spurts with time to move in between. Kindergarten will be tough.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SevernK

will not sit
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

According to the stages of development, it's quite normal for children at this age to have difficulties sitting. If this student ever wants to stand while working, I allow him to- OR I offer him other flexible seating (large bouncy ball, wobbly stool). It's only during meal times that nothing works. It's a mystery! I am thinking about purchasing those foot pedals (act like a bike) to put under his seat. Maybe that could be used during meal times? Maybe something you could try too?
SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote