Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

1st time teaching 6th grade Science

>

jahlenius

1st time teaching 6th grade Science
Old 06-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help, I will be teaching 6th grade Science and have no curriculum. Any suggestions?

jahlenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

create your own
Old 06-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Based on standards that your state has on 6th grade science, you could use this as resource https://www.ck12.org/auth/signin?&re.../my/dashboard/

I think its better if you could project it on a screen using IWB. I hope you have this basic equipment installed in the classroom that you will be in. Not only can you build your own text but actually get videos to go along with the concepts which is what I like about this website.

If your students have access to laptops or ipads, the better.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

jahlenius

Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, do you think there is a natural flow of topics I should be covering, does one science topic need to be taught first?
jahlenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

state standards
Old 06-04-2018, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could ask your principal or may be another nearby school that uses the same instructional guides as your school. Standards are usually based on some state instructional guides. Topics or standards don't necessarily follow some order but usually, it's best to cover topics dealing with safety, skills, and procedures while teaching/learning some standard. In the beginning, I would normally break the news to students regarding mandatory participation for a science fair project.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

yes
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lab safety. Go over safety and be sure to send home a safety contract. Flinn Scientific has one for middle school. Thekre is an exam as well. Here is a link Both are free.

I always give my students a pre-assessment so I can see where they are regarding skills.

Are you in a lab? Is 6th grade still in the elementary or is it considered secondary at your school?

Is your school the only one in the district? If not, you will want to teach the same order as the other schools. If there is no other 6th grade science in your district, you might try looking at some other bigger schools in your state and see the order that they use. This way, if students from nearby districts move in, it will be helpful to be pretty close in order.

Are you going to have students set up a science journal? You might also check out Tpt to see if any of the seller's are science teachers from your state.

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote