Help

BusyBoard

Unlimited enrollment?

>

Sbkangas5

Unlimited enrollment?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is a piggyback on another post about kindergarten enrollment - I didn't want to take over.

Our enrollment for each grade level is 105 students (give or take one or two, which is another story), with a total school cap of 750. We can't go over it, and always have a waitlist. Overflow kids enroll in another school that isn't full. But it sounds like many schools have to keep enrolling kids regardless of how many they already have enrolled. Is that true? How does that work? Do you just keep hiring teachers as enrollment increases, or just increase class sizes indefinitely?

I never realized this is actually a "thing".

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Enrollment
Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Shortly before I retired, our illustrious superintendent decided to stack up every school if at all possible. We ended up with crazy split/combo classes. Kids who moved in two blocks from one school had to go to another school clear across town.

She refused to hire new staff. So we had combos and increased class sizes (which went against our contract but she didnít care).

Itís one of the reasons I retired.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's my post you're piggybacking on. If you live within our school's boundaries (and can prove it, though there are a few ways around the proof), we have to enroll you.

My P walks the tightrope every summer, accepting transfers, because we can't predict how many in-boundary registrations will show up. Plus, once a kid's transfer is accepted, it is for the entire elementary experience, e.g., you get a transfer in K, you are at our school until 6th. But, if he doesn't take transfers and in-boundary enrollment is low, we risk losing our aides.

How it works is we sometimes have nasty, huge classes. This is one of those years in K. One time our numbers were so huge, my P opened a fifth K class and then had a "bumper crop" every year after that until 5th. That was a nightmare, so he won't do that again. So, now we get a fifth or even a sixth aide instead, which is not helpful at all.

It's a pain. I don't even have enough backpack hooks for my kids this year. Some teachers have run out of chairs, etc. These big years are tough.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We only have one school, so there isnít anywhere else to go. They show up, and we take them. Some years we are packed full. This year my biggest class is 20 kids. One year it was 35.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, your school must be a lot more popular than mine!

Our state is open enrollment. We can deny enrollment due to numbers for kids who live out of district. However, we cannot deny kids who live in district but whose home school isn't ours. We get a lot of kids who are supposed to go to the other schools in the district.

This year our 1st grade classes are huge- over 30 kids. Other grade levels have around 20. It just ends up being weird like that. The only time I saw them hire a teacher mid-year was when 6th grade classes got to over 40 each.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No, in my district once we hit the class size limit in all classes students go to a different school. First they go to schools directly to the north, south, east or west and then they get moved farther away. Iím in a huge district and thereís a whole process. When a seat opens up in their ďhomeĒ school they transfer, regardless of the time of year. Consequently we kids moving in and out of schools all year. Itís a huge pain in the a$$ for kids, teachers and parents.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If a child lives in our zoned area, we have to enrol them. If numbers go high by six weeks into the year, another teacher is hired and a demountable classroom provided if necessary. If numbers keep increasing after that, classes just get bigger. People can apply to non local schools and be accepted, but that can be refused. My kids went to the local primary school, but out of area for secondary.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 01-23-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If they live in our zone, they come. And.they.keep.coming.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Students automatically are assigned to the school they are zoned for. We have many magnet and choice programs for which they can apply. Those schools/programs have a set number of seats that can be filled for that purpose. We are never "full". We cannot send a child to a different school other than the one they are zoned for. An official count of students is completed on the 11th day of school and that is the number which is used to determine schools losing or gaining units. Once that is determined, it doesn't matter how many kids move into the zone. We usually get a bunch of new students after winter break. That is when class sizes really seem to grow.

Oh, in Florida we have an "Class-size Amendment" which voters overwhelmingly approved and which is supposed to keep class sizes low. It was wonderful the first few years, but politicians have weakened the amendment in so many ways its intended purpose has been greatly reduced.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I taught in a small rural district which was the only district in the town. If you lived in district, we enrolled you. I, therefore, might have 32 one year in fifth grade and 18 the next. Sometimes we added a kindergarten or first grade teacher when their numbers were over 25, but never in the upper grades. When I had over 28, we could barely fit the desks in our small classrooms. It didn't matter.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No in-boundary child is turned away. Alternative classrooms are set up with teachers to support those classrooms. If the cap for class size is exceeded and there aren't enough students for a full class, some students are removed to help form the new class. Then as kids enter during the year they fill the slots that were remaining from the student movement.

Lilbitkm

Old 01-24-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The one hug positive of teaching in Florida is the class size amendment. For grade K-3 we can only have 18 students on both of our official counts, so in October and February. If we are not in compliance we must pay a hefty fine. At times we will end up over numbers comes March/April but it’s rare.

In my district, maybe because we are so large, the class size “rule” if very strictly followed. I know that isn’t the case in all districts.

We have to accept any student that is zoned for our school. We have a pretty transient population but always have to hire new teachers at the beginning of the year. The elementary school next door to us (we share fences) is always under in numbers. However, we can’t send students zoned for us to that school. The County next to us does, but they must provide transportation, if needed, which can make it really complicated.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If they live in our town , they come to our school. There is no cap. We are currently busting at the seams and are over capacity by 40 students.

When our new school was constructed in the late '90's we had three empty classrooms. Now we have turned our art room into a classroom, dismantled our computer lab for a classroom, speech and title one work out of small tutorial spaces (think closet!) and we have one 4th grade in our old teacher's room. Our classrooms are fairly small and they cram the students in.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
The one hug positive of teaching in Florida is the class size amendment. For grade K-3 we can only have 18 students on both of our official counts, so in October and February.
Wow! I think this might be the first positive thing I've read about teaching in Florida. That's amazing and so right.

Sbkangas5

Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Wow. I had no idea! I am capped at 21. We can take 22 or 23 (if our school total doesn't exceed 750), but they have to ask me and pay me more (and I can, and have, said no). 3rd and up are capped at 28. You all are making me very thankful that I always know how many to expect!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

That really is a perk, Sbkangas. I anticipate getting at least 3 more by the end of the year and I'm already over budget

readerleader

Zia
Old 01-25-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Except it doesn't really work. Our Kinder and First grade classes each have over 20 students. The 18 is not a magical number that gets you another teacher. It is a average of all primary classes in your school. Same for intermediate. Plus there are many loopholes. If your school has a special program, is choice, or a magnet, the rules go out the window. Most of our schools claim to have some kind of something in order to avoid having to meet the class-size limits.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It must greatly vary by district and/or school... we hired 3 new teachers after the count in October this year. One grade level was only over by 2 students and still hired. We are never out of compliance, unless it’s after February. In my grade level, and 7 years at this school, it’s only happened once.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote