Help

BusyBoard

Thread Jack Avoidance

>

GreenBunny

Thread Jack Avoidance
Old 01-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In Zia's hive/flu thread, a couple of people mentioned evaluations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tia
in some places attendance (even when out for being sick) count against you on evals. crazy, right?
This is ludicrous! It seems to me that coming to school when you're sick should count AGAINST you in an evaluation since you're potentially harming students with a disease.

Questions:
1. How often are you evaluated? And how long does it take?
2. Who does the evaluations?
3. Are they useful to you or is it a colossal waste of time?
4. How often do you think you should be evaluated?

My own answers:
1. In my 28 year career, I was evaluated twice. The first time was in my first year because it was a requirement. The second time at about 20 years. I had asked for an eval for 10 years hearing "nope, I can't this year, I'm too busy." from 4 different principals. It took about 8 weeks--3 scheduled lessons where I provided a written lesson plan, 3 unscheduled, long report from P/VP.
2. The Principal evaluated me the first time, the VP the second time.
3. The first one was a waste of time, the second was very useful. She and I sat down after every lesson and debriefed. She gave me some much needed feedback and changed the way I thought of myself as a teacher. One of the most valuable pieces of advice she gave to me was "give yourself permission to be average." This almost made my brain explode because in my admittedly vain mind, either I'm a very good teacher or spectacularly bad, there is no in-between
4. I think we should evaluated at least every 5 years.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-26-2019, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Formal evaluations (tenured staff) are every three years. One is a full class period, and the other is a partial class period. We also have frequent walkthroughs for everyone, but those arenít official evaluations.

Formal are with your assigned administrator. Walkthroughs are administrator, peer, or district personnel.

They can be both.

I think the walkthroughs are best. They do them often, and there is always a ďlook forĒ for that cycle. Administrators should not be clueless about what is happening in their buildings. Evaluations every three years is too infrequent if they really want a handle on what is happening.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. How often are you evaluated? 2 times every other year. One is announced, one is unannounced. And how long does it take? The process takes forever because you need to have the pre conference, the evaluation and the post and generally my admin blows the timeline so I have to do it twice.
2. Who does the evaluations? My P or AP.
3. Are they useful to you or is it a colossal waste of time? Generally I find it a waste of time because I donít get any valuable feedback. Plus, I hate my P and donít respect her opinion at all. And, I know she hates me and thinks I suck as a teacher so anything she says is a waste.
4. How often do you think you should be evaluated? I think every other year is perfect. I know someone who went 25 years without being evaluated because admin never did it. But now that completing Evans is part of admins evaluations theyíre getting better about getting them done.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How often weíre evaluated depends on if we have tenure or not. Our district also has formal and informal evils. 1-2 times yearly. Our P and AP divide the duties. Not helpful to me because Iíve been around the block a while and setting goals is something Iíve always informally done myself anyway.

Our absences are not counted against if theyíre FMLA. We get a specific amount in our contract so everyone wonders why itís part of eval. The district thought process is that this is something we can control ya, I can really control getting sick or not.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-26-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
This is ludicrous! It seems to me that coming to school when you're sick should count AGAINST you in an evaluation since you're potentially harming students with a disease.
Under our old Governor, sick days counted against us on our state evals. Even ONE sick day counted against you. When I had the flu in 2014, I took Leave Without Pay for 10 days to preserve my eval. Our contract gives us 10 sick days, but that's from the district. The state didn't care. Our new Gov. supposedly did away with all this. Guess I'll find out!

Questions:
Evals are yearly here.

P or AP or both

Really neither. Compliments are always nice to read.

Don't really care about observations, but evals with test scores and attendance being the primary categories are demoralizing and ridiculous.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-26-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For tenured staff, we have to have one formal announced observation and one unannounced observation each year, but that is the minimum. You can have more.
I think non-tenured staff have at least three-two are formal and announced and one unannounced.
There are also walk-throughs throughout the year for everyone. I don't know if there is a required number of walk-throughs.

For tenured staff, our building principal does one observation and an assigned administrator (one of the K-12 supervisors, principals, vice-principals, AD or Special Education director) does the other one.
For non-tenured staff, the district superintendent or curriculum director does one, the building principal does another and one of the other administrators does the third one.
The administrators usually pair up to do walk-throughs.

The formal observation can be a time-consuming process because we have to submit answers to pre-conference questions, and have a pre-conference with the observer before the observation. Then we have to submit answers to post-observation questions and upload artifacts from the lesson before we meet with the observer for a post-conference after the observation. I'd rather spend my time working on the actual lesson and prepping materials.

I don't think the observers always get a true picture. Our district uses the Danielson model for our observations. i.e. If the observer comes in during whole group phonics, they will not see a lot of the things for the Danielson. That doesn't mean that the teacher doesn't do it. It wasn't observed at that time in that particular lesson.

I don't find it useful when the observer is not familiar with the age-group I teach (kindergarten), when the observer is someone I don't respect as an educator or when I don't get the observation results back in a timely manner.

I think the walk-throughs are best, too. If they do them often, administrators will have a better picture of what goes on in our classrooms. I agree that
Quote:
Administrators should not be clueless about what is happening in their buildings.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1. As a non-probationary teacher I'm evaluated once per year. Probationary teachers (in their first 3 years with the district) are evaluated twice per year. We have a 30-40 minute pre-conference as well as a post-conference. New admin came in and made us do a bunch of paperwork for both pre and post. It used to just be a conversation.

2. P or AP- and it rotates every year. I had the AP last year so this year I have the P.

3. It depends. Our AP is really easy-going, so my eval was less stressful last year, but the feedback was generally useless. It was pretty clear he doesn't know much about what I teach. I basically chose my own scores.

This year I have the P who makes me incredibly nervous. However, she knows a ton about instruction and her feedback is generally useful. I haven't had my formal eval yet so I'm not sure how it will go. I've had a few walkthroughs.

4. I think walkthoughs when done correctly (not as a "gotcha") can be very useful. Ideally I'd like to see the entire formal process done away with and go to more frequent walkthroughs instead, but obviously that's not going to happen.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I should add that my P and AP NEVER do walkthroughs so the only time theyíre in my room (or anyoneís room) is for evaluations. Itís not a true picture of anything if you donít know whatís happening in the classroom on a daily basis.

I think itís ridiculous that admin isnít in classrooms. I can go weeks without seeing my principal.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Evaluations
Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A preface to my answers. I retired a year and a half ago and I worked in a small district.

Initially, every other year once youíre tenured. After several high evaluations, the P had an option to review you every three or five years. I was given the 5 year option my last 10 years.

Mine usually lasted the length of one lesson...so 45 minutes to an hour. Most Ps didnít last that long in the primary grades.. We were supposed to get three visits during an evaluation year. 9 out of 10 times, the P would do two, and then say ďcan we agree youíre doing a great job and skip the last one?Ē

Principal.

In the beginning, they were useful. Feedback was quick and positive. In the end, it was just route...something the P needed to check off the list.

I think every other year is a valid time frame.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my district for teacher who have over 3 years experience it’s one formal and two informal observations every year. If you have under 3 years experience it’s 2 formals and 2 informal observations.

A formal observation is 45ish minutes long and also includes a lengthy pre and post conference.

We also have walk throughs by the principal, AP, Reading coach, and math coach pretty often.

The only observations that “count” and the formal and informal by my principal, or the AP. Each grade level has one or the other.

Useless, without a doubt. Especially bc our principal has never taught an academic subject or been worked in an elementary classroom at all.

We use Marzano, which I think is similar to Danielson.

Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 01-26-2019, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If you are probationary (less than 3 years), you have four observations per year done by the P or AP. After three years, you have two informal 20 min. observations per year. We renew our licenses every five years and have three formal observations that year (two with pre and post conferences). All teachers have a summative written evaluation yearly.
Can be helpful if give feedback but it depends on the administrator. Some are nitpicking and others are positive and helpful.

I have learned to take it with a grain of salt as some administrators love your teaching style and others may not. Some administrators love the fluffy, flashy styles and others love the no-nonsense substance style. My take away is let your scores speak for you and administrators can’t really argue with that.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote