Help

BusyBoard

Please advice I'm stuck

>

mom23kids

Please advice I'm stuck
Old 01-27-2019, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been a spec ed teacher for 27 years. This is my 28th year and this year for the very first time I'm a resource (setss, pullout ) teacher. I have around 4 or 5 kids that just cant catch on to reading. I am NOT a reading teacher in fact I've actually never taught below 3rd grade so this is really new to me. However, I am very proactive and have researched, spoke to their teachers, done a ton to help them read. They are STILL stuck on cvc words as welll as sight words. They can see the word cat over and over again and STILL have to finger tap it. This goes for all their cvc words. I have done sand writing, rainbow writing, finger tapping, sky writing, shaving cream, walking and making the letter, and other things too. PLEASE HELP ME! How can I get these kids to read?? Any help or strategies would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
(My p won't allow me to do Wilson..(I have been sneaking it in tho) Please advice needed.. I'm at a loss

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-27-2019 at 07:50 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For sight words, divide the big list into smaller lists-five words on each list. Be strategic in how you organize the lists. i.e. I teach kindergarten. I would not put the word said on the first couple of lists because I know my students will not encounter that word in the first books they read. We have words that they will see in Level A books and will want to use in their writing. So, the first list for kindergarten might look like this-I, see, like, a, the. Work with one list at a time. After students master one list, you can have them warm up by doing a flashcard drill of the known introduced sight words before you introduce a new word.

Introduce a word:
  • Show the word. Tell the word. Spell the letters. Say the word again. Use the word in an oral sentence. (I use the sentence that I will write on back of the flashcard later.) Have the students use the word an oral sentence. Ask, “What do you notice about the word?” (# of letters, the shape of the word, looks similar to the word ____, rhymes with ____, starts with ___...)
  • I like to use Jan Richardson’s method for teaching sight words:
  • Missing Letter-The teacher writes the word on a dry erase board. Students say the word and name the letters. Students close their eyes and the teacher erases one of the letters. Students open eyes and tell which letter is missing. The teacher writes in the missing letter. Students say the word and name the letters again. Repeat the process until each letter has been missing. Finally, the students close their eyes and the teacher erases the whole word. Students open their eyes and spell the word. Then they say the word.
  • Mix and Fix-Give each student a container with the letters (foam letters, letter tiles or magnetic letters) needed to make the word. Show the word on an index card and have students build the word. Read the word. Check to make sure the word is correct. Teacher covers the word card so they can’t see the word. Students pick up the letters and shake them in their hand or in the container. Next, they pour the letters on the table. Then they use the letters to build the word. Finally, the teacher uncovers the word card and students check their word. Have them fix any mistakes. (Some students might need support by having the teacher show the word card and matching the letters in the word they built to the letters on the card.) Read the word. Repeat several times.
  • Table Writing-Have students use pointer finger of their writing hand to write the letters on the table. Say the letters and word while writing. Repeat several times.
  • Write (Dry Erase Board)-Show the word card. Have students write the word two times on dry erase board. Read the word. Erase. Cover up the word card. Have students write the word two times without the model.
  • Work with the word in isolation. Have students do the Sight Word Sheet 1. See sample in attachment. (Put inside a plastic sheet protector and have student use a dry erase marker to write on the plastic sheet protector so student can do it more than one time.)
  • Say the word.
  • Trace and write the word.
  • What is the shape of the word? Find the shape and fill in the letters.
  • Find the letters from the word and circle them. (alphabet strip)
  • Fill in the missing letters.
  • Find the word.
  • Circle the vowel(s).
  • Work with the word in context. Have students do Sight Word Sheet 2. See sample in the attachment, (Put inside a plastic sheet protector and have student use a dry erase marker to write on the plastic sheet protector so student can do it more than one time.)
  • Have them trace the sight word. Then read the sentence. Provide help as needed. Repeat for each sentence.
  • For the blank guidelines at the bottom, have students write the word two times and read the word. Erase.
  • Then have students pick one of the sentences to copy. After they have written the sentence, have them read the sentence and underline the target sight word.
  • For extra practice-have them write their own sentence using the target sight word.
Other ideas:
  • Make the word with Play-Doh or Wikki Stix.
  • Make tactile word cards using index cards. Write the word with pencil. Trace over the letters with black permanent marker. Trace over the letters with Elmer’s glue. (You can sprinkle some sand in the glue if you want.) Allow to dry overnight. Write a sentence using the word on the back of the card. Highlight the word in the sentence. Add a picture clue if possible.
  • Have the words displayed on the word wall or around the room. Turn out the lights and have students use flashlights to shine on the word when they find it.
  • Tape word cards to the floor. You can have students jump to different words and read them or throw bean bags on the words and read the words.
  • Use pocket chart and word cards to do a word sort. Set up pocket chart with labels-1, 2, 3, 4. (# of letters) Hold up word card. Have students read the word.Then have them place the word in the correct spot on pocket chart based on number of letters. After all the words have been sorted, have students read the words in each column.
  • Print out sight word poems or type/print your own sentences to use. Have students read the poem or sentences and highlight or underline the target sight word. Keep in a poetry journal to read during Read to Self or Read with a Buddy.
  • Sing sight word songs. There are lots of you-tube videos you could use that might be helpful.

After you’ve introduced and worked on the five words on the list, you can have students do the following activities for extra practice at a word work center or work on writing center:
  • Roll, Read and Trace Sight Words: Make a gameboard with a grid with 5 or 6 columns and 6 rows. The first column has a picture of a die in each row-one dot, two dots, three dots… The rest of the columns have dotted line words to trace. Each row has a different word. Players roll the die. Find the picture of the die and read and trace that word one time. Game is over when one of the rows is completed.
  • Roll, Read and Write the Sight Words: Similar to above; however, the second column has the word and the rest of the columns are blank for students to write the word.
  • Roll and Read the Sight Word (Fluency game): Make a gameboard with a grid that has 2 columns and 6 rows. The first column has a picture of a die in each row-one dot, two dots, three dots… The second column uses two or three introduced sight words in each row. The words are repeated several times and in random order. Player rolls the die. Finds that picture on the grid. Reads that row of words.
  • Read the Word. Build the Word. Stamp the Word. (Stamp Pad) Make a worksheet with a three-column grid. Have several rows-one row for each word.
  • Read the Word. Stamp the Word. (Play-Doh)
  • Read and Write the Room-Display a single sentence with the sight word underlined. Students have to read the sentence. Then they write the sight word two times.
  • Race to the Top: Make a gameboard with a column with seven or eight rows for each player on one sheet of paper and a set of word cards. Each player gets a playing piece. Each players starts with his/her playing piece in the first box at the bottom at the bottom of his/her column. Shuffle the word cards and place face down in a pile on the table. Player A turns over the card and reads the word. If correct, Player A moves his/her playing piece up to next box. If wrong, Player A’s playing piece stays in its current position. The turn is over and the word card goes on the bottom of the pile. Play continues in the same manner until a player gets to the top of his/her column.

I tried to think of a variety of ideas to share with you. Hopefully you will find something that works for you and your students. Every student is different. You might have to go back to square one and work on visual discrimination and visual memory with letters first before working with sight words if nothing else is working.

You might want to check out these SnapWordshttps://child1st.com/collections/sig...-and-movements
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample Sight Word Sheets 1 & 2 for Proteacher.pdf (132.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by iteachk2010; 01-27-2019 at 01:21 PM..
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much Iteachk! I'm going to print what you wrote and try some of those! I really appreciate how much time you spent helping me.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Sight words
Old 01-27-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am definitely printing Iteachk's post. Great suggestions!

One addition I would add is to look into Orton Gillingham method for teaching red words, (sight words). There are a number of YouTube videos. A template for writing practice is free on TPT. Others than paper and markers/crayons the only other items you need are bumpy boards. Actually cut up plastic cross stitch forms, very inexpensive.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote