Help

BusyBoard

Grade level change..

>

Sprite

Grade level change..
Old 01-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been thinking about this for a while now.. A few years ago I switched from teaching K-2 to teaching middle school. I enjoyed middle school for a while and feel there are many benefits to teaching middle school. I've always taught special ed but am certified to teach a few other things.

I've been thinking about maybe applying to lower elementary jobs if any come up in my district. Maybe K or 1st grade. This is where I started and I think I may want to go back. What really makes me think this is because I enjoy the content better. I like teaching letters and rhyming. I enjoy teaching phonics and feel teaching reading (fluency/decoding) is my specialty as a teacher.

I am licensed in general ed, special ed, middle school (SS and ELA) and ELL. I'm currently in a leadership program but won't be done with this for a long while. I just don't know. What I do know is that I am getting bored with my position. I loop with my kids for at least 2 years sometimes 3. I love the kids but it really may be time for a change.

Any thoughts? It may just be a grass is greener on the other side situation.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Funny you should post this. I'm in MS after being in elementary for 7 years. I too miss reading instruction; I am looking for opportunities to tutor Orton-Gillingham, and I think if I can find that, it'll make middle school more tolerable. This is a good job and one I could take to retirement (I'm an old lady! ), but I'm getting bored already, and I don't feel like I'm having the impact on students that I did in elementary. I haven't been in MS long enough to move back, though. How long have you been there? Would a move back to elementary look plausible on your record? How long does the leadership program last?
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since you are in the middle of adopting, I would not change schools in the near future. You may want or need to take days off for FMLA following the adoption or placement. Although you could do that as long as you stay in the same district, you don't want to be in a new school with a new admin who may not like that you take leave. Legally the admin can't do anything, but I would recommend that you stay in your school where you already gave a good reputation

Same goes for needing to take sick days when your child gets ill.

Once you adopt there's also a big benefit to really knowing what you're teaching so that you don't have to spend excessive time lesson planning and proving your worth in a new school.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Since you are in the middle of adopting, I would not change schools in the near future. You may want or need to take days off for FMLA following the adoption or placement. Although you could do that as long as you stay in the same district, you don't want to be in a new school with a new admin who may not like that you take leave. Legally the admin can't do anything, but I would recommend that you stay in your school where you already gave a good reputation

Same goes for needing to take sick days when your child gets ill.

Once you adopt there's also a big benefit to really knowing what you're teaching so that you don't have to spend excessive time lesson planning and proving your worth in a new school.
Good point. We are going to have a new P next year. I am hoping its our AP who will step up and get P.. but doubtful.

If I did switch I would do it within our district.

Quote:
I haven't been in MS long enough to move back, though. How long have you been there?
This is my 3rd year.

Quote:
Would a move back to elementary look plausible on your record? How long does the leadership program last?
I think it would look okay, since it is something that I've taught before. If I go straight through and don't take any breaks in the program I will be done with it Summer 2020 (I think).
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote