BusyBoard

ES to MS move?

>

tgbwc

ES to MS move?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!

I have spent my entire career teaching in the same elementary. I have taught grades 2-4. For most of those years I have taught LA and SS.

There are openings at our local MS (grades 7 and 8) in both English and SS. For various reasons it is something I have considered the past few years and I am thinking of sending over my resumeí, but Iím curious to know if anyone here has made a switch from ES to MS. If so I am interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Es to ms
Old 02-06-2019, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did not make this move but have a dear friend that did. Went from 4th grade (teaching everything) to sixth (social studies and LA only). Every time we talk she is happier about the move. She gets out earlier. Much less prep time. Less parents breathing down your neck. The kids walk themselves to specials and busses which saves her a ton of time! Sixth graders have their own issues, of course. More social with each other and it may be harder to get their attention at times. The specials such as gym and music are blocks of 50 minutes verses the 30 we got in elementary. Planning time is actually long enough to accomplish something. When I heard all this I was a bit sad I had not made this move myself while still teaching. I donít think anyone realizes just how micromanaged elementary is until they do something else. The MS staff does not put up with nonsense from P either! Do it, you wonít be sorry.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I could have written juliet’s post—and especially agree with this:
Quote:
The MS staff does not put up with nonsense
I taught MS in a private school for 3 years when I returned to teaching after having kids. I cannot tell you how much I loved it. So much easier on me in every way—less work, less time, less drama. Sadly, I needed to return to public school for the salary/retirement and my certification doesn’t work for public MS. If it hadn’t been for money, I would have stayed forever. I cannot recommend the move highly enough.

Last edited by amiga13; 02-06-2019 at 06:39 AM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Illini Teacher

I moved and loved it!!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught one year of 5th grade and 2 years of 6th grade social studies before staying home with my kids. Now that I am heading back it is MS all the way!! It was SO much better for me and my personality. Our school had 2 class periods of prep a day. One team, one individual. Bells told me that my strong willed class was ready to go to someone else for the rest of the day.

The hardest part is controlling the massive amount of grading and students to be responsible for vs ES. I had 120 students as a social studies teacher. Because I was willing to differentiate I also had all the students on our team with IEPís. Grading 120 interactive notebooks and tests was a feat but it also wasnít every day. I learned to stagger due dates for the notebooks so it was just one or two classes at a time.

I will also say that I definitely felt all the class changing, kids changing and team approach worked very well for my personality. Iím social and didnít like the isolation of ES. I had not only a grade level ďpodĒ team, but a grade level subject team, a subject level building team, a district level grade level team and then a district subject level team. That was many brains to pick and bounce ideas off of and that was invaluable!

Illini
Illini Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

I did!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught elementary school for 13 years and then decided to move to middle school science. I went from 2nd to 8th grade. There was definitely an adjustment period, but I do not regret my decision at all. Most days, I really enjoy the 8th grade. I think you should definitely check into it.

JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These responses are helpful and help to reinforce my own thoughts I've had. Now, to update the resume'. I'm wondering if I should send it over for one position or if I should say I'm interested in either. I would be happy with either.

Violets2

Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you get a chance to give it a try, go for it! I know when people come to us from MS they all say, "how do you guys do it?" Then, they're ready to head back to MS
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I have taught
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

HS ,then MS, then preschool, then MS, then ES. Each age has its advantage. Elementary was my favorite. I taught third grade for 13 years and fourth grade for 7 years.

The aspect of middle school that I did not enjoy was the students are so hormonal it was very difficult to maintain their attention for the lesson. I also did not like my schedule when I had to teach the same class five times. Over and over got very boring for me. The flip side of that coin is that planning was very easy. I taught language arts. When it was time to grade compositions it took FOREVER as you have so many students. The day does pass by quickly because you change classes very 50 minutes or so. That is nice. Plus between classes you have time to RUN to the bathroom. Yeah, bathroom break.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

ES to MS
Old 02-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm certified in K-12 ESOL and grades 1-8 general ed. I taught elementary school my whole career but gave some thought to transferring to middle or high school.

Three teachers from my school transferred to middle school and loved it. And, yes, MS and HS teachers do not put up with anything. They are more assertive and confident than many ES staff members.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-06-2019 at 03:25 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

What about your credentials?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Does your credential allow you to teach 7th and 8th?

In California a Multiple Subject Credential is K-6. 6th is now middle school in our district, but we are still considered an elementary grade. In order to teach 7th or 8th, I would need to have either a Specific/Single Subject Credential or be what was called HOUSSEd-in. Basically, I had enough units, training, and teaching experience to receive a supplemental credential that allows me to teach English up to 9th grade to satisfy that I am a "HighLy Qualified Teacher".
Which is why for several years, I also taught 7th grade English along with my two sections of sixth grade English and History.

With that said, after 16 1/2 years in elementary, I switched to middle school in 2007. I love the switch and would not go back.

LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Credentials
Old 02-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am certified to teach NK-8. Thatís on my state certificate. I emailed HR to ask for confirmation and they wrote back to say I can teach any subject up through 8th other than algebra.

tgbwc

Number of students
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Most years I have between 50 and 60 students split between two classes. While itís not the same number of students a MS teacher has I do get a bit of a sense about how long it takes to grade writing vs a single class. At the elementary level we are also standards based and the rubrics alone can be quite time consuming. I also plan for ~10 different reading groups and Iím told that is not the case in MS.

Linda/OH

es to ms
Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

While I have not made that move, we did departmentalize one year in 4th. I taught 5 sections of reading. It was dreadful! I did not like repeating basically the same lessons over 5x each day-got redundant and boring. I also did not appreciate grading 100 student's work . Dealing with the number of students and families also took a toll.

The only thing I liked that year was lesson planning was a little easier. Although, I differeniate, so I still had to gather numerous materials for leveled reading and lit circles.

And as a 4th grade teacher, hormones are starting now with girl cliques /drama, so I know it's just the beginning of middle school behaviors!
My two cents worth.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks all. Definitely something to think about. I have updated my resume' and I've been contemplating emailing it over. One minute I'm like, "Yep! I'm sending it when I get home" and the next I'm thinking, "I don't know....".