My afternoons are a disaster - lack of focus! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

My afternoons are a disaster - lack of focus!

>

EMO109

My afternoons are a disaster - lack of focus!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class (4th grade) struggles, in general, with controlling their talking and staying focused. Itís manageable in the morning, but the afternoons are disasters and itís getting worse - Iíve definitely noticed a difference as it got cold and fewer kids are getting outside to get out some energy. Students come in from lunch and recess and then we have an hour and a half of school left, but they seem to think the day is over. Lots of talking and fooling around, wasting time, etc.

Iím locked into doing writing immediately after recess due to push in support and then I do content area(either science or social studies) at the end of the day. I currently have a standing desk and 2 balance ball chairs to help with sensory needs. Students are allowed to work around the room and in the hallway to help separate themselves - sometimes this works well, but sometimes they just think they can move to be right next to their friends. Iíve tried giving a mini break between subjects, but it just gets them wound up and they have trouble calming back down. Iíve tried to work some movement into lessons, but thatís just not always possible.

I need some new ideas! Anything I can try to help their energy, sensory needs, focus, etc. that might help would much appreciated.

EMO109 is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Absolutely
Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try mindfulness/meditation. There are some apps/websites out there that can help you do guided meditation activities with them. Even 5 minutes when they come in from recess to get them centered and in the moment; ready to learn.
Are YOU better in the morning than in the pm? Sometimes kids pick up on teacher's energy levels, etc., and act accordingly.

I would also suggest doing as little direct teaching as possible in the afternoons. Give them a bathroom/water break as a whole class between writing and your content area.

At first you will get pushback. Just keep plugging away at it and don't give up!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

annon4this

How about
Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you tried GoNoodle videos? I know some teachers use it for teaching mindfulness, refocus, and tor helping the kids get rid of some afternoon energy. Check out the videos. It's a free website.
annon4this is offline   Reply With Quote