Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good luck tomorrow and beyond!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/10/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I hope they are successful.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Other strikes have had some good results. They deserve it. I hope they get the support from parents and community members in their strike for better conditions.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Here's an interesting article
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

https://nypost.com/2019/02/11/studen...rike-over-pay/

One statistic that I thought was outrageous:

Quote:
On Monday, officials said roughly 2,100 teachers of 5,353 total called in sick. All public schools except preschools in Denver remained open — meaning administrators believed there’d be enough substitute teachers in place.

In preparation for the strike, the district hired 300 new subs to pad its active roster of 1,200 subs. Some 1,400 employees from the central office were also brought into fill gaps.
Are they saying that for every four teachers in the district, there's at least ONE central office personnel? That's unbelievaby top-heavy. Maybe that's a typo?
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-11-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Are they saying that for every four teachers in the district, there's at least ONE central office personnel? That's unbelievaby top-heavy. Maybe that's a typo?
It's not a typo. That's one of the major reasons for the strike.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

ms.teacher

Denver Public Schools
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My dd is an elementary teacher in DPS. She heard that the district will pay subs $240 a day during the strike. On Friday, each teacher at her school was approached by their P and was asked don’t they care for their students? If so, why would they strike. Most of the teachers at her school are new and young. Their AP told them they were just being greedy. I hope they get what they want. Stay Strong!!

ms.teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

That makes me furious!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did not strike but we protested outside the school for an hour before we needed to report. The P's window looked out onto the sidewalk where we were standing with signs. He came early every morning, made the huge pot of coffee and handed us coffee through his window. He encouraged us. He said we needed to do what we needed to do in order to be secure enough to focus on the students and not worry about bills, etc.

I only wish modern science discovered a way to clone administrators like him.

I hope they find that remark a rally cry to keep on keeping on!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please know that your struggles make a difference, even for those who arent with DPS.

Between the strikes in LA and other places lately my district decided that, after years of either not giving any raises or giving raises that are less than half of COL increases for our state to finally give us what we are asking for this year. WE have never been giving the raise that we came to the table asking for.

They knew we would strike and they knew they would loose based on how successful the previous strikes have been.

I am with you in spirit and I thank you for your sacrifice walking out to that picket line!
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I just read
Old 02-15-2019, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that the strike is over and the teachers are satisfied with the outcome.

Anyone in Denver interested in letting us know if it helped them?

Haley23

Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I live/teach in the metro area but not for DPS. They managed to completely get rid of their pay for performance system, which I think is a HUGE win against privatization- especially for such a big district to do so. Pay for performance is a really big thing in the reformer agenda. Another large district in CO Springs also recently announced they'll be getting rid of their merit pay system because they've realized it doesn't work.

They've gone back to a traditional steps/lane system and pay is in no way tied to test scores. They also created a way for teachers to use FREE district PD to move lanes on the salary schedule (rather than having to pay thousands of dollars for college credits to do so). They are making cuts to admin positions and got rid of five figure admin bonuses-ridiculous that was a thing in the first place! They also got guaranteed cost of living raises for the next 3 years.

Honestly I think it looks like a pretty good deal. When it was announced, my teammates and I were all looking very enviously at the new salary schedule. If I were to go over to DPS, I'd get over a $17,000 raise. I don't really want to work for DPS, but that's certainly enough to make me really think about it.

Time will tell if there are positive effects for the rest of us. I certainly hope this inspires other districts to get their acts together as well. I'm in a tiny district that just doesn't have the power DPS does. My coworkers couldn't even be bothered to wear red this week .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote