Help

The VENT

Move my Kid!

>

Teacher_twins

Move my Kid!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a parent call me the other day asking if I could move her student into my algebra 2 class from my team teacher's algebra 2 class (we will call her Ms. B).

First, she called while I was teaching, so I sent her to voicemail. During my planning time, I called her back (mistake #1) and told her our school doesn't do schedule changes based on teacher preferences. Then she goes off on me about how rude, condescending, dismissive, and how utterly incompetent Ms. B is toward her student. She begins to question Ms. B's certifications and degrees, saying she forged them. I told her to take it up with Ms. B and the administration.

Then she emails me asking why her student hadn't been moved into my class. Well to start with, her student has algebra 2 fourth period and I don't teach algebra 2 that period, so his entire schedule would have to be rearranged to accommodate the change. Second, I have no control over student scheduling. I'm just a math teacher. I also forwarded the email to my P so she is in the loop.

Today she comes marching into my classroom during my planning time demanding to know why her son hasn't been switched into my class. I told her, again, why her son couldn't be moved. She threw a fit and told me to use my leverage over the counselors. Leverage??? This is my first year in this school, the counselors don't even know who I am. I told her to go see the P if she feels the situation is dire enough. After she marches out of my classroom, I called P and gave her a heads up as to what was coming.

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ah, yes. The "nothing will ever be good enough" parent. I'm sure her son will find all sorts of reasons to dislike his new math class, too. Here's hoping for a bullet dodged.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Who let her into the building without an appointment? Isn't there any security in your building?

Not to mention, why in the world would you want this student in your class? The student and parent are a package deal--and NO SANE TEACHER would want them.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Stop replying to her...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's step one. You can't do anything about her barging into your classroom, except calling the principal or even security (parents aren't allowed to come to the classrooms without coming through the office at my school, see if she can be stopped in the office), but she's not your parent. You have no obligation, reason, or responsibility to be talking to her at all. If she corners you, send her to the principal. I wouldn't spend two seconds listening to her complain about another teacher, I'd just say, "Stopping you there, it's inappropriate to have the discussion without Ms. X here, I'll let her and the principal know you called." Click.

She sounds difficult at best and unhinged at worst. Don't engage.

Gogogo

Send her to Angelo
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sure he’ll take of it — sounds just like the parents he deals with.

Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hate when parents think it is OK to barge into a teacher's classroom even during planning time.

When I was teaching I told them that they were welcome to contact me by email or phone to set up an appointment. I never talked with them when they interrupted me. They wouldn't do that to a doctor, lawyer, or other professional but think it is OK to do that to teachers.

What a PITA.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

She's got a really funny way of asking for favors. I agree with the others, how is she just showing up at your door?

Is she used to just steamrolling people to get what she wants? It sounds like she is being rude and dismissive to you.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote