Help

National Board Certification

EC Gen 2

>

toodetailed

EC Gen 2
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just making sure I'm on the right track....the main goal for K language arts that I can 'show' is of course letter/sound relationship, word building, fine motor (handwriting), and sentence structure. I can't 'show' listening or speaking but will write about it in my commentary. I plan on using work samples involving drawing, labeling, listing, and simple sentences. This is my crazy question....can the work samples be from science, math, and/or social studies or do they need to all be literature related? I hope that makes sense...

toodetailed is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

C2 in ECGen is all about literacy development, as you are aware. If students are developing their literacy via cross-curricular units, it is still literacy. I can't imagine math for this...in K...?

I'll be honest, I played it safe and kept it to ELA.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

toodetailed

Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for your input! I think I'll play it safe too. Just had a few good work samples from labeled pictures from a map study. (in math, we listed our items in our counting collections ) Thanks again!

Zia

Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
(in math, we listed our items in our counting collections
Can you explain this more?

toodetailed

Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes! In our math journals, we list the items we collect either at school or bring in from home for our counting station. Things such as marbles, lego pieces, puzzle pieces, etc. The students may either draw a pic of the items or write the name of the item in their journal. One of the two students that I am highlighting for Comp 2 had shown marked improvement in her letter-sound relationships on her list. I had pulled it out for my "maybe" pile. In case you were asking about what counting collections are.. they choose a container of items, count them, and record the number. Starts off with very low numbers and increases to where we are able to count by tens and add in the ones. They love the challenge. We had a lady from AMSTI demonstrate this at a workshop, and I've used it ever since.

Zia

Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's cool! Since the kids aren't copying, and are writing phonetically or drawing pictures, I think it counts for literacy.

But...my take on C2, looking back (I did it in 2014, so forgive me), is more writing than just single words. I would stick to writing samples. Check the directions...if I recall, the work samples need to be from a unit of writing instruction?