Help

Substitute Teachers

Swing Education company

>

pt2014js

Swing Education company
Old 09-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been seeing Swing Education ads. Any reviews on this company. They say they pay same wages and take no pay from your check. But I guess that wouldn't help with sick pay.
Anyone using them?

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-14-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've worked a bit for Swing. It is like Uber... a contracting agency, not an employer. You sign up as an " independent contractor," which means you are considered "self employed."

You get assignments through Swing, and they pay you directly. However, each year, you must file extra tax forms as your own business and pay all of your own taxes, including social security. (Be careful. If you want to buy or refinance a home or get a car loan, being "self employed" can disqualify you!)

If you contract through Swing, there's no sick leave, no unemployment insurance, no worker's comp, and no liability protection. Yet as a sub working with children, you are (in my state) considered a "mandated reporter" and are legally liable as such.

In my area, the Swing jobs were at charter schools serving the most low income areas. The work days were long, with no breaks other than lunch, and the students were almost unmanageable. Swing subs fill gaps unfilled by the schools' regular subs, so the jobs are usually last minute.

You must also compete for the jobs and be faster than others in grabbing a job as soon as you are notified (via text). There are ways to become a "star sub" and get first choice, but it's a long shot and not worth the investment, in my view.

Swing attracts folks who have minimal qualifications, as the agency offers contractors help in test prep to qualify for and acquire a state substitute teaching permit. Many of the Swing sub assignments are for "non certificated staff," such as paras and other support staff (discipline).

After trying a hand full of Swing substitute teaching assignments, I stopped working through Swing. It's the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 09-14-2019 at 10:12 AM..
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

My District Is Considering Swing Education
Old 10-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Surprisingly, one of the affluent public school districts I sub in is considering switching to Swing. Supposedly they are already giving them a try on the side. The secretary actually told me this in confidence. I did notice they have excellent reviews both on facebook and glassdoor., despite what I saw posted on here. Just not sure what to expect if they do decide to implement this full time? Will they force all the current subs to go for training and get fingerprinted all over again or just automatically implement us into their system? I assume they also use Frontline/AESOP? I was also wondering how easy it would be to sign up with another district in my area that also uses Swing, once part of their system?
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 10-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the information on Swing Education. Doesn't seem like the company for me. I like my sick pay and tiny bit of benefits.
and no way do I want to work longer hours. yikes. My job is looking like heaven now.
Thanks again, I appreciate your insight.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-12-2019, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! Here in NJ we do not get any benefits from subbing. However, both of my districts did give us nice raises this year, so I just hope that IF they go with Swing, the rates wont drop.

However, I was told when leaving yesterday by secretary (we are good friends) that zero subs from their "Swing trial" are showing up, so she doubts they will actually implement it.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote