Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Grandma going to tutor

>

twin2

Grandma going to tutor
Old 10-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My degree is in Elementary Ed, so aside from my K-8 degree I have zero middle school teaching experience. My granddaughter has an F in Math. She claims she just hates the teacher. Her teacher says she can do the work. I feel like her attitude may be the issue causing the F, but there may be some gaps in her learning. When she was in elementary I felt there were some weaknesses even though she was getting good grades at the time. My question is, where do I start to tutor her?

twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

dee

MS math teacher here
Old 10-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You don't say what grade?

Regardless, she must know her multiplicatin/division math facts. Many kids don't have command of the 6, 7, nd 8s which really slows them down.

Understanding divisibility, factoring, gcf, lcm will help through ratios and proportions, unit rate, and constant of proportionality.

Basic traditional multiplication and division.
Mixed #s to improper fractions, and the reverse.

Hope this helps.
I had to hire a tutor for my own son to save our relationship.
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She is in Grade 7

twin2

Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you. I do better with my granddaughter than her mother does, but at 12 we are testing the waters so to speak. She is now in the "I know it all" world and even her bestest Grandma can't let her have her way.

seenthelight

Old 10-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If shes a fan of video games, sign up for a free prodigy account. It will start by giving her a placement test. The placement test can give you an objective, concrete view of where her deficits may be, so that you can formulate a tutoring plan to address them.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 10-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you call or meet with the teacher to find out what she needs to work on? I typically do that anytime Im tutoring.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

dee

I second prodigy
Old 10-13-2019, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can set it up as you the teacher and your gd as your student.

The data is great. You can assign certain topics or just let it follow her needs. It adapts to her level.

My previous advice stands as well.
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check her understanding of basic decimal operations. Some practice in percent formulas may be needed. Geometry topics like area and perimeter and using distributive, associative & commutative properties will be helpful.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Also...
Old 10-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Good suggestions here, but I would like to add something about math facts.

I taught 6th for over 15 years. I cannot stress how important multiplication facts are! A lack of facts proficiency was a nightmare when teaching 6th graders!

A many-years-retired high school math teacher got me hooked on something he used in his basic math and algebra classes. At the beginning of the school year, he gave his students a multiplication facts test that covered all the facts. It is timed, only to prevent the kids from using repeated addition, fingers, and skip counting (I think I gave my 6th graders 5 minutes and did NOT include 0's and 1's).

The tests were corrected. I gave each child a colored index card, upon which they copied those "demons" on the front side only. They used this card when doing their work and tests and came to a fact they didn't know. Consequences were severe for losing or forgetting it. The premise was that, if a student looks up a demon enough times, the student will eventually learn it. Having the demons always "front and center" while doing math allowed them to focus on their selected ones as opposed to the multiplication grid that is so commonly used.

We would take the big facts test about every 6-8 weeks or so. The students would build a new demons card each time and saw the list shrink each time. That was such a high for them! it was such a concrete affirmation they were making progress. They would even save the old demon cards to compare later in the year.

As a teacher, I liked it as I was able to ditch the daily facts quiz and sink our teeth into other skills best done on a daily basis. Let's face it, by the time kids are in junior high, daily facts tests are not terribly effective. This was a great way to individualize.

I even used this with my special needs daughter when in elementary school. She liked to call it her "cheat card," without really realizing she was repeatedly learning her demons.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote