Substitute Teachers

Taken off aesop for a few missed calls

>

Johnnie5

Johnnie5

Taken off aesop for a few missed calls
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This Tuesday, I was taken off aesop for a small district (few schools). I was told from HR (in the past 3 weeks) I missed a few (maybe 6) phone calls from aesop, I was told I hanged up when aesop called, and I was told I rejected a couple jobs. The school year just started 3 weeks ago. The jobs I rejected were half day jobs. There has been barely any jobs for this district the past 3 weeks. I have worked for this district for several years. I went on edjoin and noticed this district application due date for substitute teaching was on Tuesday this week ( same day I was taken off aesop). The district that took me off aesop was hiring 8 new substitute teachers. It said it had 8 number of openings on edjoin. The day I was taken off aesop was the exact day the district was calling 8 subs to hire. This district hires subs every year and I was not taken off aesop the previous years when they hired subs. I work for a few districts and I have a few children to raise. I think someone might of tipped HR about me and said something negative about me. I think they used the few missed calls as a excuse to get rid of me. I do not sub in this district as much as I sub in others.
When I talked to the HR sub lady, she said she had to see why I was taken off. She went into her computer and told me it was I taken off aesop because I missed a few (maybe 6) phone calls from aesop, I was told I hanged up when aesop called, and I was told I rejected a couple jobs. This new HR sub lady worked for the district for about a year now.

1. Do you think the HR sub lady took me off aesop? if not, then who took me off aesop? Note: When I called the HR sub lady, I was just taken off aesop that day, maybe a few hours ago.
2. Why do you think the district took me off aesop?
3. Do you think someone tipped HR off about me and said something negative about me?
4. What do you think I should do?
5. Do you think the district could of took other subs off aesop as well because their hiring 8 new subs?

c6g

Old 09-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's hard to know why you were taken off Aesop. Perhaps someone said something negative, or perhaps they were angry that you rejected those jobs. If you're concerned about this in the future, don't take any jobs over the phone. I rarely do anymore. Ignore those calls. If anyone from the district asks, say you work another job to make ends meet and you're not able to take calls. In my case, that used to be true, and I know many other subs who do the same.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnnie5

Johnnie5

Old 09-06-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This district hired subs in January (unspecified number). They had a 2 week application period. In feb., they made you sign a reasonable assurance letter which you had 1 week to turn in. I'm May they made subs turn in another reasonable assurance letter. I have gone months without taking a job for this district in the past and nothing has happened. Who took me off Aesop? Was it a computer or sub lady?
I emailed the superintendent.

mrsd5

One option
Old 09-06-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can select to not take calls for subbing, only get them off of Frontline. I donít do that, because I only sub for one district and only at the middle and high school. So there are rarely calls I wonít take. Also, whenever I block off days, I fill in the reason as medical or family obligations.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

As near as I can tell
Old 09-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the Letter of Reasonable Assurance is partly to know how many subs the district will have available and largely to keep from having to pay unemployment benefits over vacations. The Assurance is all to the district's benefit.

Does it matter if a computer program or a person took you off the sub list? You've been removed. Start making nice with other districts and see if there are other schools where you might sub. Some charter schools keep their own lists of subs as do private schools.

As others have suggested, it's works out well to only accept jobs based on the sub program/Frontline computerized listings. That way you don't refuse any jobs, just don't accept any unless you want to or are available. Getting phone notifications forces you to accept, refuse or not answer which often counts as a refusal.

To answer your questions:

Does it matter if a computer or a clerk took you off the sub list? You've been removed and will likely not be reinstated at least until the next hiring announcement.

I think the district took you off because you were turning down jobs when they needed subs. Some districts have a minimum number of jobs required to be taken each month, semester, or year. Does yours?

What would the district have been tipped off about? Have you been doing something you shouldn't or that may have been misinterpreted? Do you think there has been a complaint lodged about you? Some districts will tell you about any problems and let you respond to them. Others will say and do nothing to protect subs.

I think you need to start cultivating the other districts where you sub. Perhaps you can introduce yourself and leave a card with various school secretaries. It would be good to look at other subbing jobs. Some charters and private schools keep their own lists of subs separate from the school district, go talk to them. If you need more money than subbing supplies, start applying for other jobs, either part-time or full time. Subbing is not a wonderful source of income for someone supporting children.

You'll likely never know what the district did about employing other subs, either hiring or firing because personnel matters are confidential. If you've exchanged contact info with other subs, you might find out some things, but will never know for sure.

I wish you luck.

Last edited by broomrider; 09-08-2019 at 10:21 PM..
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

AESOP is a computer. The idea is that the computer calls and people don't have to do it. I've never heard of anything like this. Why would they care if you said "no" to the computer? All it took was a little computer time. You could/would still take other jobs. I know I told a school that I only wanted to work certain grades (I only do 7-12), and they notified the main office and I was taken off their entire sub list (for that school) - I didn't really care. I just concentrated at the school where I was wanted.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote