What Is The Process Like When Your District Switches To An Outsource company? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

What Is The Process Like When Your District Switches To An Outsource company?

>

NJSubteacher

What Is The Process Like When Your District Switches To An Outsource company?
Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many school districts in my area are switching to outsource companies like Swing or ESS to outsource their substitute teachers. Neither of my districts have decided to do so yet, but I would like to be prepared for what to expect if/when it happens in my districts. Can some of you share your experiences if your district switched to an outsourcing company to manage subs? Was the transition smooth? What was involved? Did it involve going for fingerprinting and all that stuff again as if starting new all over again or did they simply transfer your file over to the new staffing company? Thanks. Hoping to ease my anxiety since it may happen where I currently sub.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 10-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know when my home district switched to ESS, we had to go to an orientation, and they checked to see if your clearances and TB were up to date.

You can kiss your state pension benefits goodbye, but they do offer medical and dental benefits. I know with ESS they now require you to work a certain number of days a year or be dismissed if you don't have a legit excuse. Before the takeover, I just had to work one day and I was good.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-13-2019, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh ok. Doesn't sound too bad, however I would not look forward to getting fingerprinting and the TB all over again. I did that years ago and my districts never required us to get it done again.

luv2teach2017

Be leery
Old 10-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know about the others, but Swing is NOT an employer. They subcontract you as an "independent contractor". This means you are considered "self employed." You are not eligible for unemployment insurance or worker's compensation. You are responsible for all liability. You must also pay all your own soc security and other taxes as a business. It's a big ripoff. In CA, there have been recent court rulings that. make this kind of contracting illegal (e.g. Uber). Be careful who you sign up with!
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really hope they dont switch to this. However, as a sub in NJ, we dont have any of these benefits as it is. So there is no real loss, except having to pay all the taxes at the end of the year vs having them taken out of each check. We all have to pay the same taxes on wages earned, whether it be from each paycheck or in one lump sum when filing taxes at the end of the year. As you mentioned, Uber drivers do the same thing.

luv2teach2017

Old 10-13-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
We all have to pay the same taxes on wages earned, whether it be from each paycheck or in one lump sum when filing taxes at the end of the year.
Not really. You are "self employed", which means you have to pay the employer social security and Medicare contributions. You also have considerably more tax work...as you must file as a small business. Oftentimes, independent contractors must also carry their own liability insurance. Unless you are making a lot of money as a contractor, it's really not worth it. That's my 2 cents anyway.

NJSubteacher

Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I am aware that you would have to pay a higher percentage of Social security tax, however you can deduct 50% of that tax if you are self employed on the schedule 4 worksheet (I think it was schedule 4, but not positive, since turbo tax figured it out). I remember because I did independent contract work before for another company in the past, so it balanced out in the end. You can also technically deduct some "business expenses" like cell phone use for accepting jobs, and any materials you purchase for subbing purposes. The worst thing I remember was having to pay higher a fee to turbo tax for the more advanced software to calculate your taxes owed. Why should we have to go through all of this extra crap as subs who make very little income as it is? I do not find it fair or ethical. Perhaps others who have worked for outsource companies can shed some light on this subject when you filed for taxes.

luv2teach2017

Old 10-13-2019, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Keep in mind...with the new tax laws, it's also much harder to qualify for deductions .

I'm saying all this because I worked a little bit for Swing last year (low income charter schools). Taxes were a pain. The schools were awful. I was regarded with suspicion as a stranger. Not worth the hassle. I dropped Swing and sub for a district now as a district employee.

I know Swing is trying to get a foothold in the public schools here as well. Hopefully they will fail. ( I won't work for them again.) You are right. With as little as we earn, we should not be downgraded even further and outsourced as independent contractors!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-14-2019 at 03:47 AM..

NJSubteacher

Old 10-14-2019, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Personally I have been subbing in this district for about 9 years and everyone knows me already. Therefore, a merge with Swing would not suddenly make me a stranger. But you are right, if you join Swing or any outsource company just to sub fresh in another district, then I can surely understand being viewed as a stranger. This is why I say, it is only wise to sub in 2 districts at a time, so you become a familiar face. I just dont think it benefits any district to use another company to manage their subs and paras. Currently, my district is only using them as an additional resource, that has so far failed to get them additional subs (which was their only goal). Therefore, hopefully they arent dumb enough to implement it full time for all subs.

When it comes to taxes, you can still deduct any expense that is directly connected with materials we buy for classes we sub in and even the cost for using apps such as jobulator. Even if we attend a teacher's conference or convention related to increase your classroom skills, you can even deduct transportation cost of the trip and all of your meals as a business trip expense! I looked it up!

It is amazing how many things you can deduct, even under the new tax laws. You just have to save all receipts and be able to provide explaination for each deduction. However, it can get very confusing as to where you can make each of these deductions unless you use a tax software program or consult with a tax expert. Many educator related deductions can actually be made in addition to the standard deduction. Just a FYI. But the 50% social security tax deduction is an automatic if you are filing as an Independent Contractor. Feel free to google it if you want to learn more about it. It is just tricky, like I said, as to where exactly you enter these particular deductions.

c6g

Old 10-14-2019, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I work for an outsource company, but as an employee. It isn't great, but they do take care of Social Security and state and federal taxes.

I don't think I'd like to be with a company like Swing, but NJSubteacher is right about the tax deductions. Since substitutes in this situation are self-employed, they would file a Schedule C form. At times, I've had very small teaching-related businesses and I've filed it-not difficult. Even with the new tax laws, there are a number of deductions permitted to self-employed individuals. As NJSubteacher suggested, save all of your receipts.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Iím in six districts three are outsourced; two to one company and another to a second company. As others have stated you lose the state pension contributions.

In my case taxes were messed up with both employers for the first year I was with each. Both use electronic pay stubs and it is a pain to check them. I didnít check them and assumed that I was having the correct taxes taken out. Come the end of the year I find that I owed a lot to the feds and state. I even got fined by the state. I worked with an accountant to get it all resolved and have the correct amounts taken out.

Now I use the last paycheck of the year to estimate whether or not I will owe taxes so I can save accordingly. Iíve also had additional amounts taken out of each check by the district I sub in the most.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yeah, no matter what company you work for, taxes can be tricky. I dont bother doing them by hand anymore. Always use a reliable program like Turbo Tax or H&R Block. I noticed one of my school districts in the past never took out any Fed taxes, but I caught on to it, and I did an adjustment on my witholdings. This was a school district too....not an outsource company. It all depends on how payroll manages taxes and it is always our reponsibility to pay the taxes we owe (if any) every year.

luv2teach2017

Old 10-14-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In my state, unlike employees, independent contractors are not eligible for unemployment insurance or worker's comp. That in itself is troubling.

I also found the new laws very prohibitive regarding deductions. I've always done my own taxes (I also use turbo tax)and have filed as a small business (as a tutor) many times. But last year I was unable to deduct nearly as much due to the changes (I'm not the only one ...many have been disadvantaged by the new tax laws. )

My point is that Swing did not pay me nearly enough to make the hassle and expense worthwhile.

Substitute teachers should NOT be outsourced or classified as independent contractors! The result is what you see with Swing...they attract the most inexperienced and underqualified candidates. They hire anything with a pulse. That's not an organization I care to be associated with.

I sure hope you can remain a district employee and don't have to deal with the outsourcing nightmare.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 10-14-2019 at 07:28 PM..

NJSubteacher

Good news
Old 10-29-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Good news is that my district decided not to outsource to Swing after all. They are very unhappy with the few subs that actually showed up from Swing and even more unhappy that 80% of their subs have not showed up at all. They are planning to continue hiring within district only. Very refreshing!