Help

BusyBoard

Two grades from one task?

>

MissAgnes

Two grades from one task?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our Language ARts lessons are assessed using a culminating written task at the end of the selection. There is a question that the students must answer using evidence from the text to back up their answer.
I grade using a rubric that addressess 4 different areas: how well they answered the question, how well they used evidence from the text, how well they used proper writing (capitalization, spelling, grammar, punctuation), and how well they handled the Introduction/conclusion (did they restate the question, etc.). I have gone back and forth whether I count these tasks as reading or writing grades in the gradebook, but I really feel like the tasks assess both.
I'm just not sure how to do it. Do I grade using my current rubric and record the same grade for both reading and writing? Or do I revise the rubric, and use the first two areas (the answer and the evidence) for reading, and the others (grammar, intro, etc.) as writing?
As much work as it will be to revise the rubric, I'm leaning towards doing that.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I'm just not sure how to do it. Do I grade using my current rubric and record the same grade for both reading and writing? Or do I revise the rubric, and use the first two areas (the answer and the evidence) for reading, and the others (grammar, intro, etc.) as writing?
This is what I would do.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

multiple grades
Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do this all the time...but the grades are different...so the rubric would need to be changed. For example, we have an online grading program with different categories in each subject, so I might have an assessment that would become a grade for writing, conventions, social studies and informational text (reading). A student might nail it on the "answer" and do well in the reading and social studies, but not use complete sentences so not do well in writing or conventions.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Two grades
Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like the DRA assessments. I've always argued it is a reading test, not a writing test. For those kids who were really bad writers (and I mean, really poor) I would take dictation for their responses. It wasn't kosher, but it was a READING test.

So, if this is just a reading test, don't use the scores for writing. Find/make a different assessment for writing.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If the rubric addresses 4 areas, can you just use the points from the two sections (answering the question and using evidence) as a reading grade, and then use the other two sections points (grammar and intro/conclusion) for a writing grade?

I personally would not use the same grade for both a reading grade and a writing grade. Reading and understanding are two totally different skills than writing grammar and format.

We have even developed different rubrics for writing content and writing mechanics/grammar.

It is also common for us to use tasks for more than one grade. I have writing pieces that are also used as a Science or social studies grade.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Assessing
Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our weekly assessments are like this. I take 2 grades, 1 for reading and for English. The reading grade is based on how well the student was able to answer the question, did they show evidence of being able to use the strategy, provide an answer that fit question, and provide evidence from the selection. The English grade is for conventions- complete sentences, punctuation, indent paragraphs, spelling.

I have a rubric that I use and we always do the first test of the year together so they know what to expect and how to use the rubric to check their work.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-03-2017, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When my students do something like that, I enter the grades separately in my grade book. However, I often average them together when I give the paper back to them, so they can see an overall grade for how they did. But then an look at the rubric to see that perhaps they did better on the comprehension than writing.

I do this for presentations often. They have one rubric that has a part for the content (maybe it's a science project--how well do they understand the scientific content?) and then another part of the rubric is for speaking/presenting skills (how well did they convey the info?) I hand back the rubric so they can see an overall grade, but enter each portion in a diff part of my gardebook.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote