Help

The VENT

Parent taught it wrong.

>

MissAgnes

Parent taught it wrong.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught a lesson on 2 digit x 2 digit mulitplication using the partial products area model yesterday. We had already learned. 1 digit x multi digit partial and regrouping.
I sent homework to practice using the area model. Mom took it upon herself to tell the kid to not use the area model or partial products, but taught her regrouping. Except she taught the child wrong. Child was an hour late to school today, so missed the second part of the partial products lesson.
So now kid doesn't know how to use partial products, nor can she use regrouping.
Ugh. I tell my kids that if they don't understand the homework, STOP! Now I have to reteach both methods to this student, and undo the wrong method she was told to use.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I used to teach partial products and lattice multiplication, there would always be parents that would want to jump right to the traditional method (which I did teach but later). I'd say don't even give homework for that because parents freak out. Have them practice multiplication tables at home. That helps them more in the long run anyway.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

That's what I'm going to do.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is the first time I've had a problem.

dee

I don't give homework.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids struggle enough. I want them to hear consistent language and not learn incorrect methods.
Less hassle.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Math
Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Reteaching in the short run will benefit her in the long run, though it’s mighty inconvenient!

I do send the math home. I’m with EL students all day, so I tend to scaffold my homework for parents. I add a reteaching model At the top of the homework that shows and explains the steps to solve an example problem.

We used GoMath and at the younger levels, the reteaching always did this. I found it helped parents learn the technique so they could help their kids.

Good luck - hopefully this student is one who catches on quickly and can form a new habit with the correct method quickly!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

It's the end of the quarter.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last day of the quarter today. In-service tomorrow, two whole days next week, 2 half days for conferences, another in-service day.
I'm going to end up re-teaching to the whole class anyway at this point.

jov

Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
We used GoMath and at the younger levels, the reteaching always did this. I found it helped parents learn the technique so they could help their kids.
That's exactly what I did in first grade, sending home the GoMath Reteach page for homework. It shows parents exactly how to do it and then only had 2-3 problems for the kids to work on.

The math page, weekly spelling words, and a book to read was perfect homework for our high EL population.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I used to hate it when that happened
Old 10-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just as bad, some kids will practice doing something wrong...WE aren't allowed to give HW anymore. I am glad because I had that happen too many times anyways.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote