Help

Substitute Teachers

Michigan long-term sub rules/laws

>

bagano1

Michigan long-term sub rules/laws
Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you're uncertified, you can only be in a job for 90 calendar days, right? The school I am at can't make me stay longer than that? I'm not certified and not in the core subject I majored in.

I see some uncertified subs stay at jobs for an entire year, but they are just overseeing a class with Chromebooks. Is that different from a regular classroom or is the school violating the law/rule?

bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 11-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, the limit is 30 days but sometimes the district plays favorites and lets their darling retired teachers stay well beyond that, even if it's not a subject they specialize in and the kids are gaining nothing from it since their work with the kids amounts to sitting on their laptop or reading a book all period while the kids figure things out for themselves. Seen it more than once. Got stuck taking over when people like that finally decided they had enough money at the expense of 200 kids and had to bring them back from it every single time. It's infuriating.

In my state/district at least (Cali) I've heard talk that if you specialize in the field (this is measured by weighing how many college credits you acquired in the subject), then you can stay even longer than 30 days. A class I long term subbed in a while ago tried to keep me longer using that loophole, but since the subject was not something I had studied in college for at least 15 units, I was kicked out after 30 days. I thought it was a pretty lousy decision, since college was half a decade ago for me, and I had a lot of passion for that subject that I pursued outside of the university level. I spent a lot of my free time researching lesson plans and how-tos so I could come in and show them new things, I was actually working with the kids and gaining progress on getting them interested in the subject (it was an elective class), and I'd recently passed the CSET multiple subjects test which has an entire subsection on just the topic I was covering in that class; to say I wasn't qualified because 6 years ago I didn't take some classes in it was ridiculous. To add insult to injury, I was replaced by someone who spent the rest of the year sitting on his laptop barely interacting with the students -- something I learned firsthand, on multiple occasions, when I had to visit his room to drop something off on my prep while subbing in other classes in the building, and a fact I learned secondhand when students at that same school kept begging me to come back, because somehow they'd gotten it in their head that I'd made the decision to leave them on my own and could just go back whenever I felt like it.

I didn't mean to vent. Sorry. State laws vary wildly, some states don't even require a cert to sub. I know in my district at least, if they had some uncertified person in a room with the kids, that alone would be illegal. They make a big stink over it all the time here. Let alone having someone like that in the room for an extended period of time. Especially if they're not even teaching anything; parents would probably get upset over that as well. Sounds like your district just doesn't want to pay a 'real' teacher a salary, so they have some stooge there instead who's making like 1/6th of the pay to just exist there all year. How they get away with it, idk. That level of abuse is why we have the 30 day limit here in the first place.

Last edited by Aillya; 11-07-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I don't know if it's Illinois, but...
Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...retired teachers can only sub 120 days in certified positions. I know when teachers have been on maternity leave, long-term subs have worked up to a semester. I don't remember any long-term subs working more than a semester. I've done three weeks in P.E. at the middle school level at the beginning of the year as the teacher finished up her maternity leave. They did pay me a half day with the teacher before school started to do planning and to show me the computer stuff. I wouldn't want to go any longer than that, though, unless it was American history. That's my passion!
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Actually
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

no school district can "make" you stay where you don't want to be. That's kidnapping.

They can, of course, coerce by saying that if you want more work in the district, you need to stay.The truth of that depends on the number of substitutes actively working in the district.

You can alway claim a family emergency requiring you elsewhere for at least two to three weeks which makes you unavailable to continue. You may well be able to find seasonal/other employment to survive and at higher pay. :-) Or you unexpectedly become available after someone else takes the job and you NEVER accept a job at that school for the rest of this year and perhaps next.

I'll likely get hit for advising a lie, but it looks like bad faith on the part of the school exists. You don't owe them.

You can check out your concern on the state education website. You've likely already done this, but check
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...w_529841_7.pdf

I did a quick read and it looks like the school might be able to apply to hold you or someone with your credentials over--I'm sure you will look at it in more detail.

You can also make an anonymous complaint to the state department of education about an unqualified person in the position, but I sincerely doubt anything would come of it.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

P.s.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I meant to say, get seasonal employment elsewhere (retail comes to mind) until after Christmas vacation. And then go back to being available to sub.

You'll likely need some work over school vacation at Christmas time, anyway. Around here, that vacation is three weeks of no work for subs. Even two weeks of no work over vacation can leave a person on short rations in January.

broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote