Help

The Job Search

Job application question

>

Souxiekue

Job application question
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a new teaching job for next year. I currently work in a great little private school but it's 37 miles away. The distance is the only reason I'm looking. I'm trying to find something closer to home. Anyway my question is this: the applications all say," May we contact your current employer?". Can I say no? I mean without looking bad? I know she would say good things but I'd rather of let her know I'm looking unless its an actual chance at a job. Thanks in advance.

Souxiekue is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe write "Will discuss." If you tell your employer that you love the school, but the commute is just too much, she should understand why you are looking for something closer to home, though.
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great question! I am now currently also looking for a job and did not know what to answer to the same question. I wrote on the application "yes" and then where it said "when can we contact your employer?" I answered "anytime after an interview" and was going to explain my situation during the interview. I agree with you - I don't think our principals should be contacted if we're not going to get the job b/c then that puts us in an awkward place for the next school year if we aren't offered the job. However, I think if you answer "no" it might look bad. Good luck - that is definitely one long commute you have.
TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have put no before. It's not a death sentence for a getting a job. I just explained that my employer did not know I was looking for a different position.

One time I did not want my previous employer contacted even though I had already resigned. She was B itch and was not going to do me any good. I just calmly explained that we did not have the same philosophy in education.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote