Help

The Job Search

Mechanics of Teaching

>

dukebigsby

Mechanics of Teaching
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently had a interview and was asked to describe the Mechanics of teaching Language Arts. For some reason I was really caught off guard by the word "mechanics". I am curious how everyone would go about answering that question? for any subject not just Language Arts.

dukebigsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My Answer
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since they asked about Language Arts, I would explain how Language Arts would look if I were teaching it:

1. Balanced approached, incorporating all areas of language arts including reading, writing, spelling, vocabulary, phonics, listening, speaking, etc.

2. Differentiated using guided reading, centers, Daily 5/CAFE, multiple intelligences, different learning styles, etc.

3. Addressed not only in the Language Arts block, but integrated into all subjects (perhaps give an example of how I integrated Language Arts/literacy skills into science, social studies, and/or math).

4. I'd talk about my main goal for Language Arts instruction is to help students become effective communicators and to help them develop a love of reading and writing...I'd again give an example of how I do that.

As for teaching in general, I'd incorporate what my goals/beliefs/philosophies are about education and I would integrate those into each lesson.

It sounds like the word mechanics threw you off. When that happens, I first try to answer the question to the best of my abilities and see if they ask a follow up.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have been thrown off by that word, too. I actually had to look it up to give me a clue what they meant:

Definition of MECHANICS

: a branch of physical science that deals with energy and forces and their effect on bodies
: the practical application of mechanics to the design, construction, or operation of machines or tools
: mechanical or functional details or procedure <the mechanics of the brain>

They meant number 3. The procedures. The question would have been better phrased "How would you teach Language Arts".
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would have also been thrown off by the word "mechanics"! I have never heard that word in any interview. But it does sound like a phrase that a male educator would use - am I right? lol
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote
beaglebeetle

beaglebeetle

Maybe they mean...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

logistics? Perhaps that's what the person was going for. Like, how exactly you would go about teaching language arts rather than being general about it.