Help

The Job Search

Interview question about family

>

TeachChicago

Interview question about family
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have two young children and I was advised not to share this information during an interview because it may be seen as a negative. However, it is soooo hard for me not to say anything because they are such a part of my life. For those of you who have children, have you shared this at an interview?

TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Interview
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always wanted to connect with them on a personal level. I want them to know me and remember me. I have taught in several districts and most are population <30,000 - so I may not have the competition some others have.

You don't have to be a mom to be a great teacher but it does change the way to approach teaching. It made me more efficient with my time and more understanding about parents, family time, homework and even the development of children.

So if it were me I wouldn't keep it a secret. And they will probably ask you directly anyway. They want to know that you have ties to the community and won't be moving on in a year.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state they can't legally ask you directly. I truly think this is a decision that only you can make because it is so personal. It can be seen as both a positve and a negative. I agree with angeljw that it makes you more efficient and more understanding, etc.

BUT...employers see sick days, emergencies, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a principal who held having a family against a candidate but that's just me.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

flutetoot

Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have children, so I know what you're going through.

To be honest, I "feel out" the interview people. If they seem to be open and receptive, I may share things about my own children. If they seem to be hard-nosed, I choose not to.

technically, they cannot directly ask you this question. However, interviewers are becoming more bold and asking questions that they technically should not (this was mentioned in another post about weird questions).

I had one interview committee ask me which came first in my life - work or family. I stated I maintain a balance between the two - needless to say, I did not get the job (this was at a charter school).
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote