The Job Search

Job Hopping

>

signing out

signing out

Job Hopping
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently looking for a public school teaching job and wondering if my job hopping will look bad. Graduated college and couldn't find any kind of job. So I subbed for 2 years as a day to day sub and also worked at an after school tutoring center. Subbing was leading to nowhere and I hated not knowing if I was going to work on a daily basis. So after 2 years I got a job as a lead preschool teacher at my church's preschool. I loved working at the preschool but it only paid $10,000 per year and I had been living at home for 3 years after graduating college cause of not making enough money(I was 29 at the time). So this past year I got a job as a 1st grade teacher at a private christian school and was finally making a livable (although i was living paycheck to paycheck) salary and was able to afford my own apartment for the first time ever. I love the christian school where I am working now but I could make $10,000 more if I get hired on in the public school. Will all this job hopping look bad? Only reason I've switched jobs is cause of money. I know thats not a good thing to say in an interview, but I had to make it on my own so how much money I was making mattered a whole lot since I am single and don't have a husband to fall back on financially.

Suezie

Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nothing wrong with having multiple jobs when starting out. Just adds to your experiences and lets you grow in your teaching talents. Be prepared to say something positive about each position and how it will help you in the position you want.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your employment history is all in the field of education. I am sure any intelligent hiring person will note that you have been working steadily since you finished school and each new job was a step up in your profession. If you had changed jobs every 6 months, it would probably be a different story. Good luck to you. I know it is difficult finding a public school job in most areas, but lots of people still get lucky.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would just say that you found better opportunities each time to give you better experience. The experience was what you were hoping would get you a job in public schools.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

You did nothing wrong.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think you need to worry...

What were you supposed to do? Continue working as a sub teacher? You did what you had to survive...

I am sure that the principals know that, in most cases, a person WILL NOT make enough money to survive by just working as a day-to-day sub teacher...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote